Cannot remove unwanted vertex from parcel line(s)

08-19-2022 10:18 AM
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am currently attempting to clean-up our parcel data. One component of this clean-up process includes removing unnecessary and/or unwanted vertices from parcel lines. For the most part, I have been able to successfully remove said vertices. However, in some instances the vertices reappear after validating topology  and  I am confused as to why this is happening.

I have been removing the unwanted vertices using one of two processes. One, shrink parcel and delete the vertice(s) from the appropriate parcel line and rebuild parcel. Repeat the process for any parcels and/or line(s) that are coincident and/or shared. For the other process, I shrink the parcel, redraw the erroneous lines, rebuild the parcel. In this scenario I also copy and paste the corrected line(s) to any other parcels that are coincident and/or shared.

Both of the above processes work but once I validate topology the unwanted vertices reappear despite not being present in the lines or polygons prior to validating. I have attached screen captures to illustrate what is happening. I want to reiterate that I am also removing the erroneous vertex and/or vertices from any shared line and shrinking and rebuilding those parcels too. 

Any guidance, suggestions, or assistance would be greatly appreciated! 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
anna_garrett

does the neighboring parcel have a vertex in the same spot? 

chadhickman

They do but I have been removing the erroneous vertex and/or vertices from them too. This includes lines and rebuilding the parcel. 

0 Kudos
anna_garrett

right. so when i see this happening it's because a neighboring parcel or line has the same erroneous vertex. shrink all the adjacent parcels down to seeds, fix the lines the way you want them **exactly** then rebuild. see if that fixes your issue, because that's fixed mine in the past. 

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@chadhickman 

This us the expected behavior. To understand why vertices appear when validating topology you can learn more about it here:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/topologies/topology-in-arcgis.htm

http://downloads.esri.com/support/documentation/ao_/J9880_ArcGIS_CoordMgmt_Geometric_Processing.pdf

https://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc17/tech-workshops/tw_228-608.pdf

These vertices often help prevent small gaps and overlaps from appearing. In other words - they help maintain the spatial integrity.

Even in ArcMap we added vertices (cracked) any location of a 'line-point'.

Why are you trying to get rid of this vertex? 

Thanks,

Amir

chadhickman

@AmirBar-Maor 

Thank you for responding!

The reason I am trying to get rid of this vertex and others like it, is we want to correct and avoid any gaps and/or misalignment issues between our parcel types. After migration many of our parcel types lost coincidence, this happened for a few reasons. However, there are numerous instances within our data where coincident lines do not share the same number of vertices. This has caused small overlaps and gaps between many of our parcel types. 

I also assumed that a point(s) on a line would have some affect when performing any type of spatial adjustments? And removing non relevant points and/or vertices would also improve spatial integrity?

Chad

0 Kudos
DenverBilling
New Contributor III

If you have multiple parcel types in your fabric, you'll need to make sure all layers are coincident in that spot. This can be a real pain when you have multiple parcel types with coincident lines. I've had to let go of fixing certain areas with lots of curves (that always return densified) for this reason.

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@DenverBilling 

The vertices actually help with keeping parcels from different types remain coincident.

Curves should not get densified. Could you please share the workflow that causes them to get densified?

0 Kudos
DenverBilling
New Contributor III

@AmirBar-Maor 

I did more testing on this, and the issue was because of densified historic parcels continually re-densifying my true curve 'current' parcels.

Definitely user error, and I now edit all my soon-to-be historic parcels before making them historic.

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@DenverBilling  Thanks for reporting the solution.

That is a good "gotcha".

It is important to fix all densified curves at the same time. If the process runs on different inputs it will yield different 'curve fitting' results and the curves will no longer coincide. So when running the geoprocessing Simplify By Straight Lines and Circular Arc (aka SLACA) make sure to:

1. Select current and historic parcels
  2. Select all parcels types in that location (current and historic)
  3. Select both lines and polygons from each parcel type (current and historic)

Amir