Assign Default to Field when using Branched Versioning

06-26-2022 05:59 AM
Labels (1)
DeanAnderson2
Occasional Contributor II

We are in the process of testing branched versioning with Parcel Fabric.  I preparation we have using parcel fabric in a standard Geodatabase.  The AssignDefaultToField tool appears to work fine in ParcelFabric editing of a feature in a geodatabase. However, it does not appear to work in when using branched versioning.  Using standard processes I can go in and change a default value (see below) 

DeanAnderson2_0-1656248266298.png

However, when I go to use the tool it give the following error message. 

DeanAnderson2_1-1656248301900.png

From the documentation it does not appear that this should be a problem.  Is this an error or did I miss something regarding the limitation of features stored in a branched version? 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@DeanAnderson2 

Since the parcel fabric controls simple feature classes this has nothing to do with the parcel fabric.

When using web services, changing the schema is not done through the 'layer' but through the 'feature class'.  This means you have to connect to the database as the 'data owner' and drag the the 'feature class' to the geoprocessing tool.

Another way to assign a default value is to use the data design view:

AmirBarMaor_0-1656316040792.png

Just make sure to first stop the service, then modify the schema, then restart the service.

In the fields data design view you can change any field property that is stored in the 'layer' like which field to highlight. Such changes do not require stopping and restarting the service.

0 Kudos
DeanAnderson2
Occasional Contributor II

Amir 

Thanks for the response and I apologize for my slow response (as usual).  I get it that the tool changes the schema.  What I would like is a tool that does NOT to change the schema but lets me replicate what I can currently do interactively from within the CreateFeatures / Active Template tab. Using the tab I can open the active template and change set the default  for the features I am about to create. 

DeanAnderson2_0-1661190913884.png

This default is assigned for the features I am going to add.  When that is done the "default" gets reset back to schema.  

Having this capability to programmatically set the default would be nice.  I hope this clarifies what I am trying to do. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos