COGO Traverse Tool Adjustment Residuals

10-31-2019 03:44 PM
LucasBeauchamp
New Contributor III

In ArcMap when entering a traverse that doesn't close you could use an adjustment that would return a report of residuals or delta values of how much each bearing and distance changed. This was a key part of the tool. In ArcPro you get an overall closure value (which was also available in ArcMap) but no residual values. 

My main use of the traverse adjustment has always been for analysis of survey data outside of the parcel fabric. I routinely use it analyze old metes and bounds descriptions to determine misclosure. And then using the misclosure and the residual values (which have also been removed from Pro) I can find the most likely source of the error. Then I can go back to the record and potentially other data sources to try resolve the error. Often this will include trying this will multiple adjustment types. If you are familiar with adjustments you can external use external knowledge (era of the survey, the surveyor's habits, the equipment used to collect the data, the geography and topography of the land, comments about weather and clarity of the sky during astral observations, etc) to adjust the most likely source of error and get the best adjustment result possible.

The residual values created during the adjustment process are key to this whole process. Without the underlying data to look at and analyze none of the adjustments are really that useful for anything but making a figure close and cartographically look okay.

Also the closure information has also been cut down from what was in ArcMap to what is in ArcPro. It doesn't even show grid closure vs. ground closure anymore.

Traverse Adjust window with residuals

Closure report window

ArcPro Traverse tool

14 Comments
DavidPoffinbarger

I'm with Lucas...I also have put the full closure report info our departmental workflow.  Here is how we use it...

In Wisconsin surveys are required to have a closure ratio of 1:3000 or less.  When surveys are turned in to the county we run a a traverse to determine the closure ratio.  If the closure ratio is greater than 1:3000 then we kick the survey back to the surveyor so that he can fix the error.  ArcPro does not display the closure ratio.  Without this closure ratio it will be impossible for us to switch from ArcMap to ArcPro.  The full closure information that is part of ArcMap needs to be brought over into ArcPro ASAP.

AmirBar-Maor

Hello David,

I have good news for you: when a traverse closes the misclose ratio will instantly appear at the bottom of the traverse pane (1). You can set the misclose tolerance in the traverse options (2) - that will determine when the traverse automatically closes but you also have the option to force it to close by checking the checkbox.

When you use the parcel fabric the misclose information and the calculated areas are written to the parcel and you can use it for quality control. 

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Planned for ArcGIS Pro 2.8

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.

See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and (0:58) in the video.