Add "Chains" as an Override Type in Traverse Entry

11-24-2021 11:17 AM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Data entry shortcuts and unit overrides in the traverse tool are great. For those of us who deal with old PLSS deeds, we frequently have situations where a single deed will make use of both chains and feet.

Right now, I can enter values like 25mi or 13.2yd into the traverse tool and it will draw the line accordingly. This may be more of a regional issue, but I've never had a traverse where the available unit overrides were actually useful to me, except a single deed written in meters. But if I could write 2.75ch and get chains... Well, it'd make me happy, though my calculator would get lonely.

4 Comments
AmyAndis

You will need to add chains to your list of Distance units in the Project options, then you will be able to use the "ch" override in the Traverse tool.

AmyAndis_1-1637782846635.png

jcarlson

@AmyAndis  thank you! That's really great to know!

Might have helped if I read the "tip" box at the bottom of the documentation page, but it's been a while since I actually visited that page. I only tried "ch" and saw it didn't work, but didn't realize it was an application setting that would enable it.

jcarlson

Feel free to close this idea, then, by the way.

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented