Add full COGO functionality to ArcGIS Pro

08-22-2017 02:02 PM
mhoffman6
New Contributor III

I have been working in ArcGIS Pro to test the migration to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap. One of the job duties I have is to verify easements, annexations, and other legal descriptions. One of the concerns I have is with the release of the Traverse tool. While it has been nice to work with, currently I am not seeing Grid to Ground Correction functionality as well as the ability to COGO area descriptions into a polygon format. Is there something I am missing with the latest version of ArcGIS pro or is the functionality not there as of yet?

Ground to Grid functionality in ArcMap would have corrected for this error (as much as it is). 

See attached image, disregard the polygon as that is for the third portion of my question.

Secondly, is there directional control for non-tangent curves? See my legal description example.

Example: "thence 4.32 feet along the arc of a non-tangent curve to the right, said curve having a radius of 326.00 feet, a delta angle of 00-45'34", and a long chord bearing 74-57'30" East, 4.32 feet to a point of compound curvature"

Currently I have not seen any way to enter curve direction for non-tangent curves in ArcGIS Pro. Is there a tool or command that I am missing here as well?

Third and final question for entering in legal descriptions for areas such as Annexations and Easements (all forms). I have not seen tool functionality or ability to enter in legal descriptions for areas. The polygon that is in the picture is one that I traced over top of the transverse that I created to test the tool. Is there something I am missing here as well?

Thanks.

48 Comments
AmirBar-Maor

You might want to join this event: What's New ArcGIS Pro 2.5 for Parcels? | Meetup  or wait for ArcGIS Pro 2.5 to find out. 

HeatherWidlund

Any update on COGO Report/Calculator/Measure now that we're at 2.5?

AmirBar-Maor

Regarding "COGO Report/Calculator/Measure" updates... you can register to this meetup: What's New - Parcel Fabric @ArcGIS Pro 2.6 !!! | Meetup 

MatthewBeal

Looking to follow up on this. Is this still in the product plan?

AmirBar-Maor

Adding the ability to create polygons is still in the product plan. 

MatthewBeal

Glad to hear it! I hope to see it soon! This is pretty much the only thing Pro is missing from my daily workflows. Once COGO polygons are in, I will probably never have to open arcMap again. 

AmirBar-Maor

All 3 ideas have been implemented with ArcGIS Pro 2.7.

Come and see in the next meetup What's New - Parcel Fabric @ArcGIS Pro 2.7!!! | Meetup 

ElginMoore1

We don't use parcel fabric where I work but use the COGO tool in ArcMap to create polygons from legal documents like deeds, easements, leases, etc... Like many this is a deal breaker for us switching to Pro. Will the COGO tool work with polygons like it does in ArcMap in 2.7 without using parcel fabric?  

AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: Implemented

It's all there: Ground to grid corrections, import and export ArcMap traverse TXT files, residuals, overrides, shortcuts, misclose ratio and COGO area and capabilities that never existed in ArcMap like a built-in calculator, use of the 10 keypad for data entry, tangency is assumed, Can stop a traverse halfway and save it to pick up from where you left the next day using the trace, COGO symbology and labels, entry of natural features or tracing other bounding features and much much more.

ElginMoore1

@AmirBar-Maor Is this only implemented for those that use parcel fabric? We don't use Parcel Fabric here where I work. I Opened the traverse tool today in Pro and it seems to have the same limited functionality as before. Any Idea if the ability to start and stop a traverse, save TXT files, 10 key shortcuts, etc.... will be available in the traverse tool in Pro like it is in ArcMap? Again this is a deal breaker for many of us trying to make the switch from ArcMap to Pro. If I need to draw anything from description in a legal document or a survey I still use the traverse tool in ArcMap due to its greater functionality and ease of use.

Thank You.