Add full COGO functionality to ArcGIS Pro

08-22-2017 02:02 PM
mhoffman6
New Contributor III

I have been working in ArcGIS Pro to test the migration to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap. One of the job duties I have is to verify easements, annexations, and other legal descriptions. One of the concerns I have is with the release of the Traverse tool. While it has been nice to work with, currently I am not seeing Grid to Ground Correction functionality as well as the ability to COGO area descriptions into a polygon format. Is there something I am missing with the latest version of ArcGIS pro or is the functionality not there as of yet?

Ground to Grid functionality in ArcMap would have corrected for this error (as much as it is). 

See attached image, disregard the polygon as that is for the third portion of my question.

Secondly, is there directional control for non-tangent curves? See my legal description example.

Example: "thence 4.32 feet along the arc of a non-tangent curve to the right, said curve having a radius of 326.00 feet, a delta angle of 00-45'34", and a long chord bearing 74-57'30" East, 4.32 feet to a point of compound curvature"

Currently I have not seen any way to enter curve direction for non-tangent curves in ArcGIS Pro. Is there a tool or command that I am missing here as well?

Third and final question for entering in legal descriptions for areas such as Annexations and Easements (all forms). I have not seen tool functionality or ability to enter in legal descriptions for areas. The polygon that is in the picture is one that I traced over top of the transverse that I created to test the tool. Is there something I am missing here as well?

Thanks.

48 Comments
mhoffman6

Sandy, 

It took me several days with Amir's help to finally get it rolling. The Traverse Tool Documentation isn't super intuitive. However, once you learn it does become easier to use. 

One example is for non tangent curves: 

Non-tangent Curves Example: For non-tangent curves such as 99.06 feet on the arc of a curve to the right, said curve having a radius of 516.00 feet, a central angle of 11°00' 00", a chord bearing of North 49° 13' 15" West, a chord length of 98.91 feet."  

To enter a non-tangent curve using chord bearing using the description above: 

Here is what you would type:

1. Direction Column: 49.1315 cb ENTER

2. Distance Column: TAB

3. Radius: 516.00 (right turns are positive, left are negative) ENTER

4. Chord Bearing: 98.91 ENTER

I added this to our own internal documentation to help clear this issue up.

SandieHewston

I'll give it a try Amir.  Thanks for the reply.

SandieHewston

Thanks for the hints Matthew. 

I'll see if this helps.  I've never had to convert from what our surveyors provide, so this all seems rather counter-intuitive to go away from legal descriptions.  That is probably my US Centric as opposed to global thinking mind.  I'll keep working on it.

SandieHewston

Thanks for the hints Matthew. 

I'll see if this helps.  I've never had to convert from what our surveyors provide, so this all seems rather counter-intuitive to go away from legal descriptions.  That is probably my US Centric as opposed to global thinking mind.  I'll keep working on it.

BobFolsom1

Good Morning,

So I am new to pro but I would have to say that the COGO Functionality is highly lacking at the new release.  I have been entering traverse data and using cogo tools since release 6 on a unix machine and would like to say major ball dropped on the COGO side in PRO.  I do not use the Parcel Fabric and have no plans migrating that way I have always uses the tools that ArcMap provided to do my parcel editing.

Proportion

Ground to Grid Correction

Offset Line

culdesac

cogoarea

Heck I use the curve calculator when I am missing data all the time.  ARCpro does a great job making serving data and tools easier but the have forgotten about the people who edit and create the data in the back office on a day to day basis.

Please do not forget us creators of data and improve the cogo functionality in pro.

the formats for entering the data above suck  you try entering a 300 leg traverse off an old document using those methods take you a week.

89.4523-1 400 should be the only entry needed to create a line with a bearing of N 89 deg 45 min 23sds E a distance of 400 feet.

negative and positive radius where did that come from  I have received tons of information from surveyors about 27 years worth and I have never seen curves identified as a negative or a positive radius.

please bring all COGO functionality in.

Thanks

AmirBar-Maor

Hello Bob Folsom,

The missing functionality you have stated will be introduced to Pro in future releases as well as new functionality that never existed. This includes:

• Proportion
  • Ground to Grid correction
  • Basis of bearing correction
  • Offset line
  • Cul de sac
  • COGO area
  • Curve calculator
  • More...

Our goal is to make you and other map technicians that enter data from measurements on a daily basis more efficient by reducing mouse clicks and relying on a single hand to enter the data.

We understand that it might take a while to get used to a more efficient methodology after working in ArcMap for so many years.

If you are using the latest release of Pro you will find you can modify existing traverse and save your edits at any point of time. Run the geoprocessing tool "Enable COGO", then add the line feature class to your map and you get a symbology and labeling that is designed for COGO entry. It also allows you to perform arithmetic operations within the traverse grid.

In the meantime please continue to provide feedback and enter new ideas for the missing functionality so everybody can vote on them. This helps the development team to prioritize the implementation schedule.

TysonKnobla

Hey while your at it ESRI..... can we save traverses as text files again. That was sure nice.

mhoffman6

Hello All just wanted to give an update. I am pretty happy with how ArcGIS Pro has come along. There is still a significant amount of work (as Amir has stated). However as such, we have begun to COGO and create polygons within ArcGIS Pro. If ESRI continues to include functionality such as the Utility Networks (former Geometric Networks) and the Grid to Ground Corrections. I can see Pro becoming a really good asset. 

If anyone has any questions please let me know n here I would be glad to help explain what we have done.

AmirBar-Maor

A dedicated topic for supporting traverse files has been added: https://community.esri.com/ideas/15385 .

Please vote and comment as we need your feedback.

Thanks,

Amir

MargaretCarew1

Most times I do not FINISH a traverse to a version or non-versioned data when I have not completed entering a legal description by the end of the day. So, I save the traverse and load it back into the Traverse function the next day and pick up where I left off.

I always snapshot the ground to grid ratio and keep with the traverse text file for future reference. 

BTW, after entering in a traverse in ArcPRO, I right click the mouse and do not get an option to save or load a traverse.  So, for now, I have to do my traversing with ground to grid values in ArcMAP, then I finish other edits (except for annotation) in ArcPRO so I maintain my ArcPRO skill level.