Add full COGO functionality to ArcGIS Pro

08-22-2017 02:02 PM
mhoffman6
New Contributor III

I have been working in ArcGIS Pro to test the migration to ArcGIS Pro from ArcMap. One of the job duties I have is to verify easements, annexations, and other legal descriptions. One of the concerns I have is with the release of the Traverse tool. While it has been nice to work with, currently I am not seeing Grid to Ground Correction functionality as well as the ability to COGO area descriptions into a polygon format. Is there something I am missing with the latest version of ArcGIS pro or is the functionality not there as of yet?

Ground to Grid functionality in ArcMap would have corrected for this error (as much as it is). 

See attached image, disregard the polygon as that is for the third portion of my question.

Secondly, is there directional control for non-tangent curves? See my legal description example.

Example: "thence 4.32 feet along the arc of a non-tangent curve to the right, said curve having a radius of 326.00 feet, a delta angle of 00-45'34", and a long chord bearing 74-57'30" East, 4.32 feet to a point of compound curvature"

Currently I have not seen any way to enter curve direction for non-tangent curves in ArcGIS Pro. Is there a tool or command that I am missing here as well?

Third and final question for entering in legal descriptions for areas such as Annexations and Easements (all forms). I have not seen tool functionality or ability to enter in legal descriptions for areas. The polygon that is in the picture is one that I traced over top of the transverse that I created to test the tool. Is there something I am missing here as well?

Thanks.

48 Comments
ChrisJacob

The lack of a setting for ground-grid correction is a significant frustration, and a barrier to adopting Pro for many workflows.

AmirBar-Maor

With the release of the next generation of parcel management, Pro will have the capability to perform ground to grid correction as well as account for a different basis of bearing.

The next release of ArcGIS Pro (2.1) will allow you to construct polygons from lines without having to retrace your lines. This is also be part of the core functionality of parcel management when it's released. Until then you can also use geoprocessing tools to generate polygons from selected lines.

The traverse tool help document provides examples as well curve overrides for non tangent bearings (delta, chord etc.).

Schedule: the parcel manager release date is kept up to date on the ArcGIS Pro Roadmap blog post.

Thanks for communicating the gaps that prevent you from using ArcGIS Pro,

Amir

mhoffman6

Amir,

Thank you for the insight and update to this COGO tool and functionality. I still have to receive an answer to my second question as far as non tangent curves go. This is an essential functionality to what we do as I explained above. Will there be directional control much like what we saw in ArcMap COGO functionality in regards to curves 'left' or 'right' drop down. Something that enables this would be appreciated for all legal descriptions that we have to check.

Thank you again for your responsiveness.

Matt 

AmirBar-Maor

Hello Matt,

You can already specify right and left curves by entering positive and negative radius values in the traverse grid.

If you COGO enable your line feature class you will also get good default symbology and labels in Pro.

Read the help documentation and you will find many enhancements that will make entering a traverse even faster, like:

• Tangency is assumed (default)
  • Use '+' or '-' to enter a 90 degrees angle
  • Use arithmetic operators when entering distance units, no need to pull out an old calculator
  • Use shortcuts for quadrant bearings
  • Much more...

Amir

ChrisJacob

Thanks Amir - I'll look forward to using the ground-grid correction!

mhoffman6

Amir, 

Do you know how Non-tangent Curves would work under the new Traverse Tool or point me in the right direction. I was able to get tangent curves to function (which the intuitive curve system is nice!), however I am having issues with Non-Tangent Curves still.

AmirBar-Maor

Hi Matt,

The curve begins from the last entered course, use the Curve Overrides which are in this help document topic (scroll down) and you will see the methods in which the orientation of the curve can be defined (tangent bearing / radial bearing / chord bearing...). Enter the appropriate bearing in the direction field.

The topic is copy-pasted (might not be formatted as nicely as the help doc) below::

Curve overrides

Curves described on a plat or plan may not conform to a single set of curve parameters, such as radius and arc length. In the traverse grid, you can override the Bearing, Radius, and curve parameter fields (Arc Length, Chord Length, and Delta Angle) using the following curve parameter overrides:

OverrideKeystrokeUse in grid fieldExample

Tangent bearing

tb or TB

Bearing

41-56-06-4tb (using quadrant bearing)

Radial bearing

rb or RB

Bearing

41-56-06rb (using quadrant bearing)

Chord bearing

cb or CB

Bearing

41-56-06cb (using quadrant bearing)

Chord length

c or C

Arc Length, Delta Angle

25.01c

Delta (central angle)

d or D

Arc Length, Chord Length

90-59-59d

Arc length

A or a

Chord Length, Delta Angle

25.01a

mhoffman6

Thanks Amir.

SandieHewston

I'm hoping that the functionality of the COGO traverse tool is not complete yet.  In Desktop, it was a simple process to input a legal description directly from the surveyor's exhibit and I was able to compare what I entered into COGO verbatim.  I am finding it beyond frustrating that I now have to calculate curve overrides an still haven't figured out how to start my line with a curve.  I will admit that I am not a 'GIS Expert', and only use the program to input legal description, so the simplicity of the prior functionality was greatly appreciated.

I am happy to hear that we will be able to convert our line to a polygon, but don't understand why the extra step is necessary when the intent is to construct a polygon.  Is there somewhere that I can review the logic behind the change?  It's always helpful to work through the frustrations of such significant changes when I know there is a method to the madness. 

AmirBar-Maor

Hello Sandie,

You'll be happy to learn that the traverse functionality is not complete and that there is a "method to the madness". Beyond the learning curve involved with working with a new software / tool, we are driven by customer feedback and ideas. Our suggestion to use the construct polygon tool or geoprocesssing tools such as feature to Polygon" is an interim solution.

If you start your traverse with a curve entry you will have to provide it an orientation (in the direction field).

We also recommend that you run the geoprocessing tool "Enable COGO" on your line feature class and then add it to your map to make benefit of the helpful symbology - it helps both data entry and comparing the deed to the traverse.

For simple traverse entry by "non GIS experts" you can also try (try it live) the web app called "Parcel Drafter".

Thanks for your feedback.