Zipped shapefile in "My Content" not visible when I want to add to a map. Why?

Jump to solution
10-03-2014 01:29 PM
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III

I added a zipped shapefile to "My Content" and set it to Public. However, I am still unable to add it to a map. How can I make it "visible" when I search for a list of available content???"

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

No, if you use 'Add Item' from my content, and you have an organizational subscription to ArcGIS Online, you will see an option to publish the shapefile as a feature layer. This feature layer (new item) can be added to a map.

Alternatively, when viewing a map, click the Add button, and Add layer from file. Browse for the zipped shapefile to add it.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

If you have an organizational subscription to arcgis online, adding a shapefile to My Content will present a publish option that allows you to make a "live" layer out of it. If you don't have a subscription, you have to add the shapefile directly to the map, via the Add button.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
JoshuaChan
New Contributor III

by using the Add button do u mean adding it from my workstation instead of the ESRI myContent cloud?

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

No, if you use 'Add Item' from my content, and you have an organizational subscription to ArcGIS Online, you will see an option to publish the shapefile as a feature layer. This feature layer (new item) can be added to a map.

Alternatively, when viewing a map, click the Add button, and Add layer from file. Browse for the zipped shapefile to add it.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your thread has similar posts like this one and this one  Do either of these situations apply?  And the people-in-the-know have these been resolved or the error messages made less cryptic?

0 Kudos