Why would a group not show in the share list

Jump to solution
08-22-2017 11:14 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have one of my groups that refuses to show in the Share dialog no matter what.  All other groups with the same naming convention show up but not this one.  I even deleted it and started over.  Still nothing.  I can add users to it and all but can not share anything to it.

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The group probably has the following setting enabled:

We intentionally don’t show these groups in the general share dialog because we want sharer’s to be aware of the elevated privileges in this group type. To do that we require a more intentional sharing workflow that is done from the item owner’s content page. This helps to ensure that the items are being used and updated by the correct organization members. 

Check out this blog:

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2018/05/31/the-case-of-the-missin... 

View solution in original post

11 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Doug,

Does the group have update capabilities enabled on the group? If so, you'll be able to see the group when you select Share Access and Update Capabilities

Create groups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

- Kelly

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you mean this then yes

What is weird is I made 3 groups and 2 show, the 3rd refuses to.  I deleted and started again and still refuses to show up in the share list.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Where you are using 2 different types of groups - 2 of your groups are using Access so from the share dialog on items and maps only groups created without the item update capability are listed. The other group uses Access and update capabilities. You can share to this group under my content and when you share to this only groups created with the item update capability are listed. Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks but I am not sure what you are talking about.  Both groups were created the exact same way - one shows the other does not.

I see no setting about Update Capabilities.  Where is that on the Group settings page?

I see a slight difference in the settings page but no idea how to change this.

Group does not show page

Group does show page

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ok I found that the setting is only when you create the group.

I still dont understand why a group is not listed when setting to All Items.  What does one have to do with the other?  

Can i not have groups members update ability and then share it to a 2nd group?  And if so why not?

Thanks

0 Kudos
PaulaLazrus
New Contributor III

I am having the same problem. I set up the group for a class and added all the members but no one (not even myself) can see the group from selecting from share and thus they have been unable to work on projects together. Please advise.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The group probably has the following setting enabled:

We intentionally don’t show these groups in the general share dialog because we want sharer’s to be aware of the elevated privileges in this group type. To do that we require a more intentional sharing workflow that is done from the item owner’s content page. This helps to ensure that the items are being used and updated by the correct organization members. 

Check out this blog:

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2018/05/31/the-case-of-the-missin... 

JasminePrater
Occasional Contributor

Since it seems the Portal options are now different from what is shown above, I discovered that changing this setting to what is shown allowed me to see all the groups when sharing.

JasminePrater_2-1692116496856.png

0 Kudos
NatashaDakouri-Hild
New Contributor III

I am having the same issue as admin and creator of my group.

"To do that we require a more intentional sharing workflow that is done from the item owner’s content page" is irrelevant for the issue raised since the problem occurs even for item owners.

Why isn't the admin and owner the material not able to see a group under access and update but able to see it through access? And yes when it was created members were given the ability to add content. Very odd.