Why three distinct URL options?

07-06-2020 08:41 AM
Torres_Jose
New Contributor II

I need clarification on the differences between the three URL options in the Overview tab for my AGOL feature class. (See image bellow).

I am sharing this feature with an outside entity that has AGOL and group access. The outside organization requires, that the Feature Service must have turned on “Editing” , as well as “Enable Sync”.

On the “Overview” tab for the Signal_Intersection Feature Layer, there are three URL options, which lead to different pages and title headers - Can someone explain why they are so different and how that matters when sharing?

• Option 1 - Layer: Signal_Intersection (ID:1)
  • Option 2 - Signal_Intersection (FeatureServer)
  • Option 3 – Home Token Required

Option 1. (Service URL):

https://services1.arcgis.com/IYiCpZoSIq9lAxi8/arcgis/rest/services/Signal_Intersection/FeatureServer...

Option 2.  (View):

https://services1.arcgis.com/IYiCpZoSIq9lAxi8/arcgis/rest/services/Signal_Intersection/FeatureServer...

Option 3. (Copy):

https://services1.arcgis.com/IYiCpZoSIq9lAxi8/arcgis/rest/services/Signal_Intersection/FeatureServer

AGOL- Overview Page

agol admin‌ agol hosted feature class# administration url‌ url path#url schema‌

8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Adding additional eyes: ArcGIS Online

--- George T.
Torres_Jose
New Contributor II

Thanks, George. First time posting here, so I appreciate you for looking out!

0 Kudos
Torres_Jose
New Contributor II

As of yesterday, the page layout and content of the Overview tab for this AGOL Feature Class, has changed. In my previous post, I had labeled the first URL selection, as "Option 1". That option is no longer available. 

Can someone explain why this has changed, and how this affects sharing options?

AGOL- Overview Page (URL option changes)

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you click on the arrow on the right side of the point layer, that opens a page for the sublayer, which has the URL link to the sublayer.

Torres_Jose
New Contributor II

Hi  Ken Buja  Thanks for your reply. I did noticed that arrow option, but that leads to the same results as before.

Posting the images below, hope it can be easily followed: The Overview page now has the two options to find the URL (Labeled below in red 1 & 2😞

When I access option 1, I land on the page you just mentioned, Ken. This page has the identical URL as Option 2 (bottom of Overview page).

When I click on the clipboard icon (Copy), and paste that shortened URL into the browser, I get the 'Token Required" message for both Option 1&2:

Now here is where I am still confused and uncertain which landing page is the correct option. When I instead of clicking the "clipboard icon", select the "view" option

… I am lead to two different landing pages.... similar content, but not identical. This is the source of confusion for me. Why and how are these different.???

Starting with Option 1 (View):

Selecting Option 2 (View):

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Torres, Jose‌,

Thanks for the post, and for reaching out at the UC showcase!

First, when you copy and paste the URL you are getting the Token required message most likely because the service is private. When you click "view", an access token is appended to the URL which authenticates you for that page. 

The difference between the two URLs is that ...FeatureServer is the URL to the service. FeatureServer/0 is the URL to the layer. A feature service can have multiple layers, so you might have FeatureServer/1, FeatureServer/2, and so on. The properties on the layer page are specific to layers, while the properties on the service page are specific to the service. For example, there is no GeometryType listed on the service because a feature service can contain multiple layers with different geometry types. However, there is no Service Item ID listed on the layer because this is a unique identifier managed at the service level. 

Adding the service to a web map will add all of the sub-layers. Adding a specific sub-layer to a web map (e.g. FeatureServer/3) will only add that sublayer. 

I hope this helps, let me know if there are any other questions. 

Cheers,

-Peter

0 Kudos
Torres_Jose
New Contributor II

Hi Peter, 

Thanks for your prompt reply, and clearing up the URL differences.

One more question regards to "private setting": In the Share tab, would I have to choose "Everyone (public)", in order to not make it private?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jose,

No problem, and you are correct about this. Unless it is shared with Everyone, it will require a username/password (this is what generates the token you see appended to the URL) to access. Depending if it's shared to a group or with an organization, that username and password could come from other folks in your organization or groups you've shared the layer to. Sharing with Everyone enables access to the layer to the general public with no authentication requirements. 

Thanks,

-Peter