Select to view content in your preferred language

WHY is the New Map Viewer Pop-up Response Rate is slower than classic :(

01-25-2023 06:42 AM
KaramKhattabBMCD
New Contributor III

Don't get me wrong I love the new map viewer but If you would to compare between the classic map viewer & the new map viewer mouse clicking response rate to get the pop-up show up, there is at least 2-3 seconds !! which is pretty annoying. 

I love how in classic map viewer, you click and BOOM the pop-up shows up Super FAST. 

the New map viewer, you click , you wait 1 , 2, 3 , then you get the pop-up  ! 

I really hope someone can do something about it PLEASE 🙂 

Tags (1)
8 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Do you have a sample map you can share? thanks!

0 Kudos
KaramKhattabBMCD
New Contributor III

Thank you Russell for your reply ! I appreciate. Most of these maps are inside our internal organization Unfortunately I can't share 😞

But, if you would to simply have two maps on two screens , one in classic and one in new map viewer with the same exact data. You will see what I am talking about. The delay is not horrible but it just makes a difference for the overall user experience. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

It really doesn't matter what data you use. This behavior can be seen on default popups with just the attribute table, on intermediate popups with some Arcade expressions, and on complicated popups with a lot of stuff going on in the Arcade expressions.

For example, here is a map which just has the "USA Structures" layer from the Living Atlas. The popup uses some Arcade expressions, but only really simple ones.

MapViewer 

MapViewer Classic 

In Map Viewer Classic, the popup opens almost instantaneously, good user experience. 

In Map Viewer, the click on a feature doesn't seem to register for 0.5 to 1 seconds. Then the spinning wheel comes out for 0.1 to 2 seconds (yes, 2 whole seconds on some occasions...), before the popup finally appears. Not so good user experience.

Have a great day!
Johannes
0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

I have the same experience with ArcMap vs. ArcGIS Pro. In ArcGIS Pro, routine stuff like right clicking to open a context menu will occasionally cause a lockup, especially for catalog operations. It freezes way more than ArcMap ever did, which is saying something. It does crash less, but still -- 3 crashes of Pro yesterday.

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

We found that the graphics card requirement with ArcPRO affects the performance quite a bit.  Do you have a graphics card on the machine you're running pro on?  It ran terribly for us on a machine when trying to use onboard graphics.

0 Kudos
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

I do. But I have run it on machines without and I agree.

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

Yep same issue here.  Interestingly, a somewhat lengthy script (at least for me) that looks at a related table and grabs the most recent date from a 1:M relate runs fairly fast in the new viewer.  Its just the regular popups that seem to be running slowly for me.  

0 Kudos
CalenDaugherty
New Contributor III

I am glad somebody else noticed this. I too see this small lag in the new viewer vs the old. Granted, it is usually only a second or 2, but why is this slower than the old viewer? Why should the new more advanced viewer be slower for a straightforward function, not some edge case? I don't have extensive programming knowledge, but maybe this is related to the Javascript API v4 being more dependent on the systems graphics card? Would love to hear feedback from ESRI on whether they are aware of this issue.