Why is my file so big/ Economizing File Size for upload to online

Jump to solution
03-09-2021 07:58 AM
JamesWenyon
New Contributor III

Good Morning All,

I am working on uploading a one layer web map to be made into a web app from ArcPro. 

This web map is a 546,500 row feature class of county parcel data. I get no warning messages when I upload my data and after it is published AGOL cannot fully load my data and i have to open the web map in the Beta Viewer. The file size is around/slightly less than 800 MB.

Is this size of the file the reason why my data does not fully load and not function properly when I make a web app

Are there any tips for optimizing my parcel file so its performance improves and takes less memory to store the parcel data?

I would like to have my data and its attributes fully load in a web map and not spend a ton of credits storing the data trough the ESRI Server.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We have a similarly large layer with lots of attributes, but as it consists of point geometry, the total storage is fairly modest. We also have much smaller datasets that, because of the geometry, take up a great deal of space.

I would think about the intended use of the layer you're publishing. Is it necessary that it retain the full resolution of the input geometry? Our parcel data (and yours, I'd assume) is by nature very precise, but it's stored at a resolution that web maps literally cannot take advantage of.

I'd take a look at the Generalization toolset and explore some methods that you might "trim" the data down prior to publishing. Many of the tools preserve topological relationships, which you'd want for parcels.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Additionally, you might want to consider a few best practices while authoring your data in ArcGIS Pro.

1. Don't show the parcels at all scales. Choose a scale range where upto 1000 features will be shown. Set a suitable visible scale range for the Parcels layer.

Alternatively, you may also set a visible scale range in ArcGIS Online (Map Viewer).

2. Project the layer/map in Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere (WKID 102100). This will help in faster rendering of your web layer in ArcGIS Online.

3. Publish a Hosted Feature Layer, and turn off Editing and Sync in hosted feature layer properties (Item Details Page).

4. Keep the layer symbology simple. Generalizing the features would help in decreasing the size of the shapefile/feature class, but consider its impact on the accuracy of your datasets.

5. Remove/Hide the fields that you don't want to show in the web map.

For more information, please visit the following links.

Best Practices for Map Creators 

Best Practices for Layer Publishers 

Think Location

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We have a similarly large layer with lots of attributes, but as it consists of point geometry, the total storage is fairly modest. We also have much smaller datasets that, because of the geometry, take up a great deal of space.

I would think about the intended use of the layer you're publishing. Is it necessary that it retain the full resolution of the input geometry? Our parcel data (and yours, I'd assume) is by nature very precise, but it's stored at a resolution that web maps literally cannot take advantage of.

I'd take a look at the Generalization toolset and explore some methods that you might "trim" the data down prior to publishing. Many of the tools preserve topological relationships, which you'd want for parcels.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JamesWenyon
New Contributor III

In Looking at the Simplify line/ Polygon tool, is there a preferred simplification Tolerance you use and do you typically use feet or a different unit?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It really depends on the use case. I know we have a few odd sliver parcels, and I can't simplify by more than a foot without them collapsing entirely. But that said, even simplifying by a small measurement can eliminate a lot of unnecessary vertices.

I would take a subset of your parcels in your "busiest" area and perform a series of simplifications on them at different tolerance levels and review the results side by side. See how much generalization you think you and your users will notice/tolerate, and what filesizes you get with each level.

At the end of the day, we also rely on a big disclaimer on our viewers that what they're seeing is only an approximation and does not represent a survey, etc., which I think affords a bit of wiggle room.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JamesWenyon
New Contributor III

Thanks Josh,

Ill be running some experiments with simplifying for the rest of the day!

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Additionally, you might want to consider a few best practices while authoring your data in ArcGIS Pro.

1. Don't show the parcels at all scales. Choose a scale range where upto 1000 features will be shown. Set a suitable visible scale range for the Parcels layer.

Alternatively, you may also set a visible scale range in ArcGIS Online (Map Viewer).

2. Project the layer/map in Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere (WKID 102100). This will help in faster rendering of your web layer in ArcGIS Online.

3. Publish a Hosted Feature Layer, and turn off Editing and Sync in hosted feature layer properties (Item Details Page).

4. Keep the layer symbology simple. Generalizing the features would help in decreasing the size of the shapefile/feature class, but consider its impact on the accuracy of your datasets.

5. Remove/Hide the fields that you don't want to show in the web map.

For more information, please visit the following links.

Best Practices for Map Creators 

Best Practices for Layer Publishers 

Think Location
JamesWenyon
New Contributor III

Thanks for these Great Tips

0 Kudos