Why is Arcade not an option for field calculator in ArcGIS Online?

06-05-2019 10:02 AM
PaulMcBride
New Contributor III

I am trying to do a field calculation in ArcGIS Online.  The option for Arcade or SQL is not available.  It is defaulting to SQL.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

13 Replies
MichaelKelly3
New Contributor III

Hi Paul,

As documented here, if the hosted feature layer has sync enabled or is configured to keep track of who creates and updates features, you will not see this page. Instead, the SQL window will appear. Changing these settings on the Feature Layer will enable the Arcade option when performing calculations.

Kind regards,

Mikie

PaulMcBride
New Contributor III

Thank you! However when I try to change those settings it says it is unable to save them.

Do you think it is because it is a feature service from a Survey123 form?

0 Kudos
MichaelKelly3
New Contributor III

I would suggest you contact Esri Support to troubleshoot. It doesn't matter how the Feature Layer was created - you should still be able to alter its settings (provided it's a hosted Feature Layer).

It sounds like something is wrong with the Feature Layer itself which would need more in depth troubleshooting...

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Michael,

Do you know if there are any plans to include Python as a language option for field calculations in ArcGIS Online?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
MichaelKelly3
New Contributor III

Currently, you can do field calculations using Python with Feature Layers hosted in ArcGIS Online via ArcGIS Pro.

I am not aware of plans to port this functionality into ArcGIS Online, although I'm not part of the Development team.

Arcade is compatible cross-platform (i.e. works on mobile, desktop, etc.) so any Arcade calculations can also be used in popups for dynamic expressions.

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for your response! I'll have to explore that functionality a bit more using Pro. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I'm kind of jumping in on this thread but I recently learned that Arcade is disabled when the sync or track edits for a feature layer is enabled. I've seen the documentation link above but I was wondering why is this? I have feature layers that have sync/edit tracking enabled for use in Collector for ArcGIS and Survey123, and I would like to have calculated values based on other feature layers in which case Arcade seems like the correct option. I also would like to compute an intersect for a new point feature and attribute a field in the point layer with that of polygon feature layer. Is this functionality possible with SQL? 

Thanks in advance!,
Kathy

It look like Michael Kelly hasn't logged in to GeoNet in some time so I'm mentioning Kylie Donia‌ in hopes of getting a response. Thank-you!!

collector for arcgis*, arcgis online arcade

JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

I'm having this same issue of not being able to use arcade but I don't have sync or editor tracking enabled on my feature class... what gives?

MaiSwasdichira
New Contributor II

Hi guys,

I have the same issue. I don't have sync or tracking enable on my feature class and I still don't have Arcade option. Can somebody please give me an answer? Thanks.