Why does the time slider not display for my time-enabled hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
02-06-2018 05:52 PM
RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

I'm completely new to ArcGIS Online so forgive me if I am overlooking something that should be obvious. 25 years of desktop Arc has not prepared me for this.

I have published a "Feature Layer (hosted)" to my organizational ArcGIS Online account (following the tips given in https://community.esri.com/thread/172204).  In the Layers section of the Overview tab, Time Settings is displayed and enabled.  When I open the layer in a map viewer, the time slider does not appear as promised. Nor does any of the data show for that matter, although you can see the data in the Thumbnail in the Overview.  What am I missing?  Many thanks.

Here's the URL for the service: https://services.arcgis.com/JL4BwWcjcPuWhBm9/arcgis/rest/services/StoryMap_MTBS/FeatureServer

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

Katie, I used to be able to open a support case directly, but now I am reliant on colleagues who are the 'official contacts' between my University and Esri.  I actually put in a request to my colleagues to contact support a couple of hours ago but haven't heard back yet. If you can expedite by opening a case directly, that would be great. Again, I'm entitled to support, just can't do it as directly as I used to be able to.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If your organization does have access to Support I would encourage you to use your internal channels to request a Support case through your authorized caller.

When cases are opened under the authorized caller they get attached to your customer number and there are many benefits that come with that. If you don't know who your authorized caller is please let me know your customer number or the name of your organization and I can try to get you their contact information.

RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

Here are the issues the support analyst found with my data:

1. The polygon feature layer is multipart feature layer in which 480 polygons are compressed into 32, hence we would need to increase the property 'Maximum number of records returned by the server' which fixed the issue. In my case I have adjusted it to 2000
  2. Also, the year field in your data is actually a LONG data type which is not recognized by ArcGIS Online, hence you are unable to make it a time enables feature layer. Since DATE datatype is missing from the data though you upload a file geodatabase, ArcGIS Online failed to retrieve time settings. 

My reply, with some further issues:

Can you tell me where in the online documentation where it describes how to calculate the 'Maximum number of records returned by the server' property? With just 32 records in my feature layer, it did not occur to me that that property would be an issue. 

Also, can you tell me where in the online documentation it says that a DATE datatype is required for a time-enabled layer in ArcGIS Online? This datatype is not required in ArcMap for time-enabling (my data animated just fine with the LONG datatype on the year field), and the AGOL documentation simply says to upload a time-enabled layer. Doesn't say anything about datatype that I can see.

Also, when I replicated the support analyst's steps, I found that no time slider appeared when opening the layer in a map viewer using Internet Explorer.  I had to switch to Chrome, where a time slider did appear in the map viewer. I know that using IE is not supported for creating some Story Maps (Cascade); is IE not supported for map viewers with time sliders? If so, where is that documented?
RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

BUG ID: BUG-000111202
Synopsis: In ArcMap, when time is enabled on a field other than text or date field types, or the value in a text field does not equate to date/time, the service fails to publish any features to ArcGIS Online.
Meaning of status: This case defect has been reviewed and will be fixed in future releases.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The property 'Maximum number of records returned by the server' (MaxRecordCount) was brought up in error by the analyst. I don't think that property had anything to do with the features not displaying. The features failed to publish due to the defect.

As a work around to the defect above were you able to create a date field in your feature class and publish successfully?

0 Kudos
RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

I think you're right about the Max # of records.  

Yes, I was able to publish successfully. Thanks for following up.