Why does the time slider not display for my time-enabled hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
02-06-2018 05:52 PM
RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

I'm completely new to ArcGIS Online so forgive me if I am overlooking something that should be obvious. 25 years of desktop Arc has not prepared me for this.

I have published a "Feature Layer (hosted)" to my organizational ArcGIS Online account (following the tips given in https://community.esri.com/thread/172204).  In the Layers section of the Overview tab, Time Settings is displayed and enabled.  When I open the layer in a map viewer, the time slider does not appear as promised. Nor does any of the data show for that matter, although you can see the data in the Thumbnail in the Overview.  What am I missing?  Many thanks.

Here's the URL for the service: https://services.arcgis.com/JL4BwWcjcPuWhBm9/arcgis/rest/services/StoryMap_MTBS/FeatureServer

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

BUG ID: BUG-000111202
Synopsis: In ArcMap, when time is enabled on a field other than text or date field types, or the value in a text field does not equate to date/time, the service fails to publish any features to ArcGIS Online.
Meaning of status: This case defect has been reviewed and will be fixed in future releases.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Robert,

When I do a simple Query with where 1=1 and return count I do not get any features (records) i.e. count = 0...

Here is the Query:

https://services.arcgis.com/JL4BwWcjcPuWhBm9/ArcGIS/rest/services/StoryMap_MTBS/FeatureServer/0/quer... 

RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

OK, well then the question is why didn't the features upload, and why do they show up in the thumbnail ... again, I followed the procedures given in the thread I linked, and obviously something wound up online, just not the features. Why would that happen?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Robert,

I am not sure at all on that. What process did you use to push this data to AGOL?

0 Kudos
RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

Thank you for your willingness to help.  The original data is in a shapefile; the shapefile is the only item in my MXD.  I used File.Share As. Service.Publish a Service.  Under Capabilities, I chose Feature Access as this is required for time-enabling.  I get the warning 10045 that "Map is being published with data copied to the server using data frame full extent", which is fine as I want all the data copied.  If I do a preview, all the data shows up in the preview window.  I get the same result (feature layer with 0 features) if I try the same process in ArcGIS Pro, and I get the same result again in Pro if I use a version of the data stored in a GDB instead of a shapefile. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Try running the Check Geometry tool against the shapefile. It might have some geometry issues that are fixed automatically when you import it into a FGDB. That could explain why you don't see the issue when publishing with FGDB as the source.

0 Kudos
RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

Thanks; perhaps I wasn't clear.  I get the same results (0 features uploaded) when using a FGDB as a source.  Check geometry returns no issues.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I misread, my apologies. Can you try uploading a zipped FGDB directly into the ArcGIS.com content page and see if any features publish.

0 Kudos
RobertNorheim
New Contributor III

Yes, features do publish when uploading a zipped FGDB, but of course they aren't time-enabled.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting. I think at this point we need some hands-on troubleshooting with this data. Are you able to open a Support case? If not please let me know and I can assist.

If you are able to open a case after it's closed please report the findings back on this thread if you get a chance.