Select to view content in your preferred language

why did some of the point features disappear when I published my map to arcgis online?

Jump to solution
03-09-2017 11:35 AM
AndrewSmith25
New Contributor III

When I published my map to ArcGIS online, some of my point features disappeared on when I viewed in map viewer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewSmith25
New Contributor III

Kelly,

I am still having issues with publishing feature points to ArcGIS online.  I was able to publish the map with one layer to the online service and all points appeared but when I created three layers so I can use different sympology for different data type, most of the points appeared but some did not appear in the online map.  Any Ideas what went wrong?

Andrew-

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Andrew,

Do you have more than 1000 points in your point layer?

By default, ArcGIS Online will only display 1000, but this can be changed when publishing the layer.

Carmel

0 Kudos
AndrewSmith25
New Contributor III

Hi Carmel,

There might be more than 1000 points, since I copied the layers to change symbology of some of the points and query some of the other points.

II have been trying to publish a map with a joined table to ArcGIS online and it doesn't seem to work.  The reason I want to publish a joined table is so I can set up a query in map apps to show analytical data associated with the feature points.  Any ideas  how I can do this in ArcGIS online?

Thank You,

Andrew

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Andrew,

If you want to increase the number of points, you can do so when publishing the layer:

(This option is enabled when you choose Feature Access under Capabilities)

How have you implemented the join in ArcMap? Joins have to be based on a geodatabase relationship, so using 'right click > Joins & Relates... > Join' isn't enough. More information here: http://support.esri.com/technical-article/000012168

From memory, I believe you've to have a Standard or Advanced licence to complete this.

Carmel

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Carmel Connolly‌,

ArcGIS Online webmaps display more records than the max record count specified on publishing and do not require that you increase the max record count to display more data. For Hosted Feature services, the web map makes a tile request as a result type which displays more than 8000 points. For more details, check out this rest api documentation: ArcGIS REST API 

-Kelly

AndrewSmith25
New Contributor III

Carmel,

Thank You I will try to increase the number of points to see if that works.  I have a basic desktop license with the spatial analysis extension.  Does my License have capability to perform the join or relate that can be published to ArcGIS online?

Andrew-

KellyGerrow

@Andrew_Smith

There isn't a limit to the number of features that you can publish to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap and your license level won't determine what types of layers you can publish to ArcGIS Online. This sounds like you may be running into an issue that needs further investigation by support services. If you suspect the join is causing the issue, try exporting the joined data to a new feature class and republishing the data. If this is successful than the join may be causing the problem and it should be investigated by our development team.

-Kelly

AndrewSmith25
New Contributor III

I tried publishing the unjoined feature layer and noticed that the online version of the map still did not show all the points in the feature layer.  This is very strange because previous versions of the same layer published all the points in the layer.  I thought the problem was due to the joined data but now I found out that the unjoined data does not show all the points. 

Not sure what is causing the problem.  Any Ideas will help.

Thank You,

KellyGerrow

Hi Andrew,

Another troubleshooting step will be to see when the data goes missing. When you publish from ArcMap, it creates an SD file. If you download the sd file, you can open it up using 7zip (extract), and navigate to the V101 folder inside the unzipped V101 folder and open the file in the geodatabase. Is there data there? Are any fields hidden in your feature class before publishing?

If you need help getting in touch with technical support, just let us know, they will be able to troubleshoot the issue in a more detailed fashion.

-Kelly

AndrewSmith25
New Contributor III

Kelly,

I am still having issues with publishing feature points to ArcGIS online.  I was able to publish the map with one layer to the online service and all points appeared but when I created three layers so I can use different sympology for different data type, most of the points appeared but some did not appear in the online map.  Any Ideas what went wrong?

Andrew-

0 Kudos