Why did Arcdesktop wipe my shapefiles from my .mxd when I re-open it?

Jump to solution
08-01-2019 05:34 AM
MatthewElbert1
Occasional Contributor

The past several days, after I save a session in a map I had regularly been updating, upon re-opening the .mxd the next morning, I've found that my .shp files are missing from under the group layer in the TOC.  I am attempting to uninstall/reinstall of ArcMap, try the edit/save, reopen on another computer, among other things to see what the issue is.  This is very strange and I've never encountered it before (I've moved the local version of a shapefile to another file location before and had the 'red check mark-broken link' error before, but never shapefiles completely wiped from the TOC).  This is an annoyance if I have to re-upload all of my .shp files to my maps I had just edited the day before.  Any ideas of what the issue is/how to fix would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

-Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewElbert1
Occasional Contributor

Katherine,

I tried a few things, but I think what solved it was doing a 'program repair' then uninstall/reinstall of Arcdesktop.  So far, it seems to have worked.

-Matt

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Very strange, I just experienced the same thing for the first time today! No idea what could be causing it but would love to find out!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
MatthewElbert1
Occasional Contributor

Katherine,

I tried a few things, but I think what solved it was doing a 'program repair' then uninstall/reinstall of Arcdesktop.  So far, it seems to have worked.

-Matt

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the update, Matt! If it happens to me again, I'll give that a shot.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos