Why can't users in my group edit the map that is in the group's content?

Jump to solution
11-17-2015 05:25 PM
AidaGuhlin
New Contributor II

I created a group in my ArcGIS Online account and added a map that I had created to it and then edited all settings so that way people in the group could edit the map. However, they can only save a copy of the map with their edits, which is obviously not the point. I did some sleuthing and got to this page: Enable colleagues to update your maps and apps | ArcGIS Blog  which has helpful info if my settings page looked like that, but as you can see, it doesn't. Unless I'm missing some magic pages here, I don't have the same ArcGIS Online account apparently as the one noted. I've attached what the group settings looks like to me, and would love any other suggestions/explanations/advice. Thankfully, our project isn't necessarily time sensitive, but since we're an educational organization, I would love to have this figured out so more projects can go forward with ArcGIS Online in the future.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Hey Aida,

The option to create share ownership groups is only exposed to org admins right now.

http://docdev.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/share-items.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_00626E637AF7465E8...

Share items to group with capability to update items

Administrators can create groups that allow members of the group to update items shared with that group. Updates to an item can include changes to the item details and updates to the content. When members share an item to such a group, they remain the owner of the item. Other group members can update the item. For example, they can add layers to a map and save the map with the updated content. Members of these groups can also edit hosted feature layers that have been shared to the group with full editing control even if the layer is not editable. For example, a public hosted feature layer that isn't editable can be shared to the group and members of the group would have full editing control of the layer. At this time, item update capability is intended for use with item details and the contents of maps and configurable apps.

If you are a member of a group with this item update capability, the Share button in My Content has a drop-down arrow with two options: Access andAccess and update capabilities. Choose Access and update capabilities to share items to groups with the update capability. You only see your groups with this capability when you choose this option. Choose Access to share items with everyone (public), your organization, or groups without the item update capability.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
AidaGuhlin
New Contributor II

I appreciate the sleuthing but I don't seem to have anything that they're talking about. I tried making the layer editable but that doesn't seem to do anything either.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Aida, just fyi, I heard thru the grapevine that there will be an ArcGIS Online update tonight.  Assuming that happens, I would wait until tomorrow to test things out just in case. 

I'm assuming you've already seen this thread, but if not "Share" Web Map Application (Story Map) for Editing which had another link (besides the one you mentioned) More ways to collaborate on maps and apps | ArcGIS Blog

AidaGuhlin
New Contributor II

I haven't checked either of those threads, but I will look at them and keep that update information in mind as well. On hold until tomorrow I suppose. Thanks Rebecca!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Check out this doc page that outlines how you can share maps or scenes to a group and then other members in that group can update that same item.

Create groups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Russ

AidaGuhlin
New Contributor II

I see what it's talking about, but if you look at this box that they're speaking about: sharingcapabilities.JPG

I don't have such a box, whether it's when I create the group or when I go to edit the settings of the group now. All I have that seems to be remotely close to it is a button allowing me to say members are contributors.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Hey Aida,

The option to create share ownership groups is only exposed to org admins right now.

http://docdev.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/share-items.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_00626E637AF7465E8...

Share items to group with capability to update items

Administrators can create groups that allow members of the group to update items shared with that group. Updates to an item can include changes to the item details and updates to the content. When members share an item to such a group, they remain the owner of the item. Other group members can update the item. For example, they can add layers to a map and save the map with the updated content. Members of these groups can also edit hosted feature layers that have been shared to the group with full editing control even if the layer is not editable. For example, a public hosted feature layer that isn't editable can be shared to the group and members of the group would have full editing control of the layer. At this time, item update capability is intended for use with item details and the contents of maps and configurable apps.

If you are a member of a group with this item update capability, the Share button in My Content has a drop-down arrow with two options: Access andAccess and update capabilities. Choose Access and update capabilities to share items to groups with the update capability. You only see your groups with this capability when you choose this option. Choose Access to share items with everyone (public), your organization, or groups without the item update capability.

AidaGuhlin
New Contributor II

That clarifies things! Thanks, I think I know how to fix this issue then!

0 Kudos