Why can't I continue configuring the pop-ups on my AGOL map?

Jump to solution
09-01-2016 11:22 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

I have a map on AGOL that we have created a Web Map for via WAB. It's been in production, on an internal server (so no, I can't share the url), for a few months now. I got a service ticket today to add the OBJECTID to all popups for all feature classes. Please don't tell me why this is a bad idea, I already know.

Mine is not to question why, Mine is just to eat the pie.

SO ANYWAY, I am on AGOL configuring the pop-ups when 8 layers in clicking on CONFIGURE POP-UP for a layer does nothing. Not a thing.

I try to click on other CONFIGURE POP-UP for other layers... nothing. I try to do this for layers I've already added OBJECTID... nothing. I can click on the map and see my brand new popup configurations and there is the OBJECTID... but I cannot change it anymore.

On any layer.

I have rebooted even thinking it might be a weird browser issue... nothing.

No more editing the pop-ups...

Here is a quick screencast showing my frustration...

ArcGIS Online Popups Not Configurable Suddenly - YouTube  

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
26 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I should also add

• Feature classes are in SDE on our own ArcGIS Server
  • Map Services hosted on our own ArcGIS Server
  • Map was on  AGOL
  • I had to republish and over write the existing service to see effects in the map

Dave

KipoKipo
New Contributor III

Thank you very much David for sharing this! Putting SHAPE field to the bottom simply fixes the issue.

Most of the time the shape field is at the bottom by default but for some feature layers that have joined table etc would have SHAPE field in the middle of the list. This issue should be addressed somehow by ESRI please. Customers like us have hundreds of layers on one service so it's a pain to go through them.

KP

0 Kudos
deleted-user-xAXv9N1cq5-e
New Contributor II

Dave,

I was running into the same issues and there seemed to be no straight forward way to remedy the problem.  This worked for me so thanks for posting!

Eric

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

We discovered that ESRI Shape fields have to be at the bottom of the list. If the Shape fields are in front of ANY OTHER FIELDS then those fields will NOT be visible or editable. Apparently, AGOL can't process an ESRI specific field for some reason.

TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Brian,

I have the same problem. I have discovered that popup configuration is disabled for all layers if you try and edit just one layer that doesn't have the shape field at the bottom.  

I was happily configuring popups for several layers and stumbled on one layer that didn't have the shape field at the bottom.  At that point I couldn't configure any popups in my webmap whether the shape field was at the bottom or not.  I could save my webmap, do a hard refresh with cache flush and then I could configure popups again.  Not the most elegant way to get through many layers to configure popups.

Regards,

Tom

EulessNick
New Contributor III

I guess I'm about 4 years behind Yakima again ... but it still does it! I'm going to try the fix in the morning and see what happens.

Your comment about how one layer breaks it for all layers is exactly what I'm seeing - so that really nails down the solution.

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I tried this solution and noticed that when I hit apply or ok, the field order immediately reverted back to the way it was before I hit reset field order.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
Bob_Spaulding
New Contributor III

Tried everything else listed - moving Shape to bottom in ArcMap listing, re-uploading service, etc.  I don't think I even changed the fields - I did rename a layer or two - but it was "Reset Field Order" as David Andrews describes above in his screenshot that solved my issues.  In two separate instances.  My setup is Portal for ArcGIS hosted internally using Map Services hosted on our server, and registered as Map Image layers in our Portal setup. The configure popup menu wouldn't work otherwise - as others describe, it would do precisely nothing.

NatalieScott4
New Contributor II

Thank you for posting this - I was going crazy trying to figure it out. I think this became a problem when I imported the data from a geodatabase to a PostgreQSL database.

AllisonKampbell
New Contributor III

I just had this issue and this post saved my day.  Thanks!