Select to view content in your preferred language

Why can't I add my shapefiles from file even though they're under 1000 points?

10-26-2017 02:10 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

I have two shapes files, both with less than 1000 features, (one c4MB, the other 1.3MB). When I try to add them to my map from file I get an error saying they're too large. I can add them as shapefiles in Content, but then can't create feature classes to add them to the map.

Help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
33 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Does the ArcGIS Online portal belong to an organization or is the portal created as part of a trial account? Can you share the URL of the portal in ArcGIS Online? normally this will be organization.maps.arcgis.com.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

It's not an organisation. As I said it's just my private account, which as far as I understand it allows me to create and share as long as I share with everyone. Am I wrong?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Simon, you are not wrong...

If I check the FAQ(Frequently asked questions—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS ) it states clearly than you can:

Can I use ArcGIS Online free?
Yes, if it is for noncommercial use. With a free public account, you can create, store, and manage maps, scenes, layers, and apps, and share them with others. You also get access to content shared by Esri and GIS users around the world.

... which makes it so strange that you are not allowed to publish the content. What if you simply add the ZIP without publishing and after it is added is there an option to publish the ZIP as hosted feature layer?

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

No, I tried that. I've got the zip file in my content, but then can't do anything with it.

The strange thing is that it does seem to be something to do with size because when I split the file in two (north and south) it loaded fine?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Can you use Merge Layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  on the two parts?

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Unfortunately, as a Public user I don't get to use the Analysis tools . If the worst comes to the worst I can live with four layers, instead of two, but I'd like to know why I can't do what I thought I should be able to.

Thanks for your help and advice

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

I am going to tag KGerrow-esristaff‌ who is an expert. Maybe she knows what is happening in your case.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Simon, the links that I send give some suggestions on how to make the file smaller even if the limit is over 1000.  

You haven't given the nature of the attributes in terms of their data type and number of columns.  If the columns are numerous then the file will be large.  

In some circumstances you can generalize the geometry, particularly if your file is just going to be used for display purposes.  

Check some of the simplify tools or even aggregation tools if you have the appropriate license level.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the features need to be displayed as original, because they are mapped features that need to be seen correctly. I tried generalising, but it just created rubbish.

As for columns there are about 10.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So in summary...

• you want to use shapefiles
  • generalizing the geometry is no good
  • generalizing the attributes is no good either
  • you had success with splitting the file into two... but you don't want to do that.
  • you are not part of an organization ***** edited to add this
  • We put another call into...

Kelly Gerrow‌ calling again