Select to view content in your preferred language

Why can't I add my shapefiles from file even though they're under 1000 points?

10-26-2017 02:10 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

I have two shapes files, both with less than 1000 features, (one c4MB, the other 1.3MB). When I try to add them to my map from file I get an error saying they're too large. I can add them as shapefiles in Content, but then can't create feature classes to add them to the map.

Help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
33 Replies
David_van_Riel
New Contributor III

I didn't.  Kept the data in my organization account.  Yesterday was take your grade 9 to work day and my son wanted to create a story map but couldn't do it on his public account without breaking up the shapefile.  If it was for an assignment and needed to be on his account he would have had to break the shapefile up.

0 Kudos
David_van_Riel
New Contributor III

Assuming that there isn't a limit on having multiple shapefiles added to a map that meet the individual shapefile limitations.  It would be truly unfortunate if that work around wan't an option.

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

So to summarise: It's not possible to publish the shapefile as a feature layer from within Content because my account is a public one, and the only workaround seems to be creating multiple smaller versions that can be added direct to the map via "Add Layer from File"?

0 Kudos
David_van_Riel
New Contributor III

As far as I know.

Would make it a pain to update the shapefile as you would need to add a new shapefile to the map, re-do the symbology, label, popup setting, etc... the same way, and then delete the old layer made from the previous version shapefile.

When the map grabs a published feature layer from your content at least you can update and replace the data in the content very easily.  As long as the fields haven't changed and the values used to symbolize have the same unique ones it is not a problem.

0 Kudos