Select to view content in your preferred language

Why can't I add my shapefiles from file even though they're under 1000 points?

10-26-2017 02:10 AM
SimonCrutchley
Occasional Contributor III

I have two shapes files, both with less than 1000 features, (one c4MB, the other 1.3MB). When I try to add them to my map from file I get an error saying they're too large. I can add them as shapefiles in Content, but then can't create feature classes to add them to the map.

Help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
33 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you have Desktop (ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap) the recommended way wouldld be to share the layer as hosted feature service and not through uploading a ZIP. Did you try that?

SimonCrutchley

Hi Xander,

Unfortunately, the link you sent begins with

To share a web layer, you must have both of the following:

• An account that is part of an ArcGIS organization
  • An account that has privileges to create content and publish web layers

As such I fall at the first hurdle as I'm not part of an ArcGIS organization

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

I'm afraid it's gone 17:30 here in the UK so I'm heading off, but I'll be back in contact to try more options tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I edited my summary ... to account for this

0 Kudos
MarleyGeddes
Esri Contributor

Hi Simon,

Try adding the zipped shapefile to a Map and saving the layer from there:

1. Open the Map Viewer by clicking on the Map tab along the top panel
2. In Map Viewer, click Add > Add Layer from File
3. Choose your zipped shapefile
4. Select the 'keep original features' radio button
5. Import the layer*
6. The layer should display in the Map Viewer and under the table of contents
7. Click on the layer options in the table of contents and click save layer
8. Add title, tags and summary and create item; this will create an item that will appear under the Contents page.

*Note: if you get an error when attempting to import the layer (step 5), then the shapefile may be too big to be added to the map. See Shapefiles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS for more details.

Kelly Gerrow - can you provide any suggestions?

Hope this helps!

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Simon,

This shapefile has self intersecting polygons and can't be added through the map viewer for storage in the web map:

Shapefiles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

It can be published as a hosted feature service (which requires an ArcGIS Online Organization Login).

You can find that this has self-intersecting polygons by running the check geometry tool in ArcGIS Pro:

Checking and repairing geometries—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Try running the repair geometry tool to remove these intersections and republish.

Repair Geometry—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Thanks,

Kelly 

SimonCrutchley

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I don't have ArcGIS Pro. I have access to ArcGIS Map at work (V10.3). Could I clean up in that and then add through the map viewer?

0 Kudos
SimonCrutchley

Please ignore that as I found how to do it and found the dodgy polygon

However, I've tried importing and still get the same error

I attach a link to the zipped file in case there are errors I'm not picking up.

https://transfer.english-heritage.org.uk/main.html?download&weblink=b3ec68ec9969fedbedeca09eda70799b... 

0 Kudos
David_van_Riel
New Contributor III

Hi Simon,

You can't publish the shapefile as a feature layer because your account is a public one.  Only users of an organization account that have publisher or administrator roles can publish feature layers.

FAQ: Can a user with a public account publish hosted feature services to ArcGIS Online?

About hosted layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

You can add a shapefile directly to your map.  Adding the zipped shapefile to your content is pointless in terms of using it in your map as you can't publish it as a feature layer and when attempting to add in your map you can't see it (because it isn't published).

I ran into a similar problem with the 1000 features and less than 10 MB limitations (Shapefiles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGISwhen helping my son with a story map on his public account.  I eventually used my organization account to add the entire file geodatabase as a published layer rather than split the shapefile into multiple ones.

SimonCrutchley

Hi David,

Thanks for that. How did you get the data from your organisation account to the public one?

0 Kudos