Why aren't ArcGIS Online data usage credits charged to a user's credit limit?

11-26-2019 01:52 PM
DavidWheelock2
Occasional Contributor II

We have observed that ArcGIS Online usage credits used by an organization for data uploaded to that organization are NOT charged to the credit limit of the user who uploaded the data, and the data usage credits are not limited by the credit limit of that user.

For example, recently a user with a 50 credit limit uploaded about 3 GB of data to our ArcGIS Online account for some brief testing.  However, he left the data online and it continued to consume credits at from 12 to 25 credits/day for nearly a month, consuming over 550 credits in total.  After using those credits he still has 47 credits remaining.

Credit usage over the month.  The spikes are the user's data uploads.

User's remaining credits:

Why is a user able to consume 550 credits and not have it limited by their 50 credit limit?

This goes against our understanding of the credit limits.  Is there documentation that explains why this happens?

Is there a setting that would allow us to charge data usage credits to a user's credit limit?

If this is possible within the current system, can ArcGIS Online credit usage be changed to apply a user's credit limit to their credits used for data storage?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi David,

Thanks for the detailed description and screen shots. Storage is not considered in a user's credit budget: Configure credits—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

There is an existing ArcGIS Idea to enable budgeting for storage - you can up-vote this as well as link to this thread or paraphrase it in a comment: Credit allocation in an ArcGIS Online organization needs to include storage 

Hope that helps,

-Peter

DavidWheelock2

I have up-voted the idea that you recommended above.

This is a MAJOR issue.  Last year, most of our ArcGIS Online credits were consumed by a few users who uploaded large amounts of test data and didn't delete it.  All of those users had a 50 credit limit that should have prevented this.  This year, as you can see, it almost happened again.

ESRI has GOT to provide a way to limit usage of data storage credits.

0 Kudos
DavidWheelock2

Regarding the documentation that you posted, is that the only place that this is mentioned in ESRI documentation, buried in small print at the end of a paragraph?

There should be a prominent table with bullet points showing what types of data apply to the usage credit limit and which do not.

It's like a credit card with a credit limit and then saying that you can buy all you want of this other thing and the credit limit doesn't apply.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi David,

Thanks for suggesting the documentation change - I agree that a bulleted table would be helpful. I logged an issue against the documentation page internally for this. I also included a suggestion for an in-app pop up that shows the same table when configuring a member's credits . The record is ENH-000127178 if you want to Contact Support to get your account attached. Feel free to send me a direct message and I can assist with this process. 

-Peter

DavidWheelock2

Thank you, Peter Klingman.  Will you post a link to the corrected/improved documentation here, when that occurs?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi David, I can definitely do that. 

To amend my above comment, the change is now being tracked as BUG-000127544. 

Thanks,

-Peter

DavidWheelock2

Great!  Can you subscribe me to that bug?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi David,

Yes - if you email pklingman@esri.com or send me a direct message on GeoNet with your customer number, I can attach your account to the bug. We need to open and close a support case on our side to attach a customer number to a bug. Once the bug is published to the Support site (this one isn't yet) you can also browse to Esri Support | ArcGIS Technical Support, search for the BUG, and subscribe from there. 

Thanks!

-Peter

0 Kudos
DavidWheelock2

Thanks Peter.  I tried searching for the bug when you mentioned it above.  However, when I searched for bug ID BUG-000127544 the ESRI Technical Support Search tool doesn't find it.  Here's what it gives me:

Why doesn't it show up?

I will e-mail you.

0 Kudos