Why are there so few options for 3d scenes vs. 2d maps in AGOL?

03-15-2019 11:56 AM
BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

For 2D maps it seems like the user has much more control over pop-ups, attributes the user wants to display, etc.

Am I missing something?

Same questions for WebApp builder too.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Brian-  thanks for your question! 

3D Web GIS, the Scene Viewer and the Scene designer experience is an emerging technology, and we're making it easier for users to apply lessons learned from the web map experience to scene authoring.  A big example of this was including the search dialog from web maps in the scene designer in the latest release.

In fact, many of the properties you apply to feature layers (Popups, symbology, filters) persist in the scene viewer.  This blog is a helpful overview to getting started viewing your authoritative data in 3D. 

Delivering your Common Operating Picture with 3D 

Essentially, it's the difference between versions of the ArcGIS API for JavaScript (3.x to 4.x), and we have a lot of work going on here to bring some applications to 4.x to fully utilize scene capabilities. 

Happy to talk through any specific needs you might have- thanks!

Philip Mielke

3D Web Experience Product Manager

0 Kudos
BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

I am pulling in multipatch buildings into a scene and I do not see as many options as 2d maps. For example:

Configuring pop-ups, Adding Attribute Expressions, Adding Pop-up Media, Creating Labels.

Furthermore, there are a lot more "widgets" and functionality when creating WebApps from scenes.

Again, maybe I am missing...

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brian,

You're not missing anything- those parameters are not yet accessible through the Scene Designer UI.  You are able to configure popups etc through the item configuration (under Visualization on the Item page), but you do not yet have an interface to configure popups in the Scene Designer.   

The exception is labeling.  You can access a label UI for 3D Feature layers in the Scene Designer.  

Phil

0 Kudos
BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

I am aware on how to configure pop-ups in 2d maps. At least, this should be available in the Scene Designer UI.

I just submitted on the Ideas page. Hopefully, it will gain some traction.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/16393 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I absolutely agree, and it's on the roadmap.  I also agree with the Ideas submission-  we're motivated by what our users point out and request, so this is impactful.  Thanks for taking the time to do so Brian.  

0 Kudos