Why are the images in the generated report from Survey123 turning sideways?

07-16-2018 11:21 AM
MelissaFeliciano
New Contributor

I have a custom report template built for Survey123. When I upload an image from my ipad's library into the survey in the Survey123 app, the image is in the correct orientation. However, after I submit the completed survey, when I go onto the desktop version of Survey123 and generate a report into my custom word doc template, the images are turned on their side. How do I fix this issue? Since I am adding multiple images to each survey report, and am doing many reports, it is too much to have to edit the word doc afterwards and rotate all of the photos individually.  

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
MelissaFeliciano
New Contributor

If you take the photo within the Survey123 app, submit it, and generate the report then the images are the correct orientation. However, if the image is uploaded from the photo library, then the image's orientation is altered. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Melissa,

This issue should have been resolved in a recent release of Survey123 on both iOS and Android? Please confirm if you are still encountering rotated images when selecting an image via the photo gallery? And provide the details of the device (make/model/OS version). Thanks.

Phil.

0 Kudos
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

I am running in to this issue myself, which is causing me some grief. Some of our field users are taking photos with the device camera (this allows you to use the photo elsewhere) instead of the S123 app camera (which does not save the photo in the camera roll).

James Tedrick‌ and Philip Wilson‌ is this a known issue with a planned fix? If not can I request a fix/enhancement?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rob,

What devices are your users using?  Can you provide some sample images that are mis-rotated?  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rob,

Are the images that are being rotated when selected from gallery being taken on iOS devices with the default image format of HEIC?

Please check the Settings page for the Camera app, where there are two options. High Efficiency uses HEIC format, whereas Most Compatible uses JPEG format. Note that we have a current bug for HEIC format selected images from the browse button on iOS, when the image is converted to a JPEG (the format we use in Survey123) the image is rotated incorrectly.

The workaround to this is to set the iOS device to Most Compatible in the Camera settings.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
RobBlash

Philip WilsonJames Tedrick‌ I emailed you a copy of the photos and a report.

Seems to be only portrait photos that have the issue.

Device: iPad A1823 (5th gen) / iOS v12.1.4 / S123 v3.3.64

Photo is taken as a jpeg (not heic)

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the additional info. I am unable to reproduce the rotation issue with the built in camera app on iOS when set to Most Compatible. As mentioned previously, if the camera capture setting is set to High Efficiency, then the image will be rotated when inserted from the gallery, as we do not currently support reading the metadata of HEIC format images, so the rotation is ignored. This is a known bug we are working on.

I tested with both an iPhone X with iOS 12.1.4 and iPad Air 2 with iOS 11.2.5 and when using Most Compatible settings and take photos via the in built camera app, in both front facing camera and selfie mode, the images were inserted back into Survey123 via the gallery browse option with the correct rotation.

When I set the camera capture to High Efficiency and take a new photo via the built in camera app, then select the photo from the gallery browse option in Survey123, the image will appear rotated. This is expected and a known issue. Note that we convert HEIC format to JPEG format on insert, so even though I select a HEIC format via the gallery, I will see it as a JPEG in the image name once added to Survey123 image question, see below:

Please ensure the devices you are using are set to Most Compatible and then take new photos with camera app. If they are still being rotated, please let me know.

Phil.

0 Kudos
RobBlash

Phil,

Thanks for the update. The iPad is definitely capturing jpg images (this is a 5th gen that doesn't support HEIC). I also tested with an Android device and I am seeing the same results. Just to clarify, the rotation issue is only seen in the reports, not when viewing data on https://survey123.arcgis.com 

I guessed at your email and got it wrong (sorry Pam Wilson) so you did't see the emails I had with James, but he informed me that it's an issue with the report engine reading the exif rotation. If you send me an AGOL user name I can share a test survey with you, feel free to submit some records.

James Tedrick‌ you mentioned there was a fix in the works, do you have an estimated timeline on this?

Thanks,

Rob

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rob,

The fix to address this is planned to be included in the next release.  Once it's available for testing, I'll reach out and ask you to verify.