Who can make this  ESRI'S reply simple and easy to understand ?

07-12-2012 11:05 AM
admedahmeds
New Contributor II
Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank ESRI team for their great support on this forum.

I believe, here are a lot of people are asking : how can we import and upload a layer to Arcgis online with more than 1,000 feature? it seems there is only one solution  for this problem, and this solution has been mentioned on this thread by ESRI Team, BUT  this solution is not clear for me! so who can help me please to get the way which will help me to upload and import a layer with more than 1,000 feature?

Thanks.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/41778-1-000-feature-limit-in-ArcGIS-online
Tags (2)
11 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Chuck,

I'll pass along your comments.

About a year ago, we did increase the limits for uploading shapefiles. This is from the documentation.

Shapefiles—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

• The shapefile must be less than 10 MB in size and have less than 4,000 point features or 2,000 line or polygon features. If the file is too large, generalizing the features will often reduce the overall size and allow the shapefile to be added to the map. If that doesn't work and you have publishing privileges in your organization, it is recommended that you publish shapefiles that exceed these limits as a hosted feature layer.

My understanding is that we've kind of reached the limit on the amount of data we can store inside a web map. Storing all of that data inside the map makes the map quite large. That 10 MB shapefile is stored as plain text (JSON) inside the web map and probably yields an even larger map than the original shapefile. That map has to be downloaded to run on the device. Maybe it could perform OK on a PC on a fast internal network, but, for example, downloading that to a mobile device would likely be slow.

You say that people download parts of your data. Is your data hosted in AGOL? Are there some common areas or parts of your data that many clients might be interested in using? One idea is to create view layers from a hosted feature layer. View layers can define a subset of features and attributes from the original layer. So, given your source data, you might make several view layers that are subsets that people frequently use.

Create hosted feature layer views—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Set hosted feature layer view definition—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

Mike

0 Kudos
CharlesBuzzard
New Contributor II

Mike,

Thanks for passing this along.  Several of us have read through the documentation you referenced and we have tried the recommendations, but having clients who want to load ad hoc data keeps us from implementing the recommendations.  Being able to control the data inputs is how we operate in most cases, but we really need to support this use case.  Not best practice, but a need in our world.

Thanks again

Chuck