When Uploading layer to arcgis online and the lines appear Squiggly?

03-29-2022 09:02 AM
ArryLazaridis
New Contributor II

This issue doesn't happen all the time, but its happening more frequent recently. When getting a KML from a Client I use arcgis pro to convert to a layer and then upload to the arcgis online. However, In PRO everything looks good, but when uploaded into Online and viewed in map viewer it seems the lines come in all squiggly/some times take a long to time load and smooth out. Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know how to fix this issue.   

Image from iOS (1).jpg

Image from iOS.jpg

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

So the KML labels are being brought in as line features?

Just for an example, can you see how many vertices there are in that "8"? I would guess that your layers are far more detailed than they need to be, and the web map is trying to simplify them for display, but perhaps not doing a good job of it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ArryLazaridis
New Contributor II

Is there a geoprocessing tool i could run that would simplify it before i upload it? 

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are quite a number of ways to simplify features, just search the Pro toolboxes for "simplify" and "generalize". I'd suggest just playing around with the different options, maybe against a small subset of your data, to see how simple you can make the data before it starts looking wrong.

This page explains some of the simplification methods in more detail.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
ArryLazaridis
New Contributor II

do you know if there is a way to bring a kml as one block so that its all one big feature?

0 Kudos