When searching for Lat Long using my own basemap, they plot in wrong place.

01-03-2013 07:52 AM
ChristopherBoland
Occasional Contributor
I am  using one of my agency's basemaps that we push out as a webservice as a basemap on ArcGIS.com.  We have been plotting points on the basemap by typing in the lat long of a known point.  Up until the beginning - middle of December 2012, it was working ok, but more recently, the lat longs are not plotting where they are supposed to.  I have tested using the webservice in ArcMap and when I plot a point graphic based upon the same lat long, it shows up in the right place, so I know that there isn't a projection issue with the web service.  Has ESRI changed something that may be problematic with my custom projection?  What else might be causing this projection shift in my ArcGIS.com map?

My basemap is projected using a custom projection that we call PCS_albers which is defined as below:
Spatial Reference: PROJCS["PCS_Albers",GEOGCS["GCS_North_American_1983",DATUM["D_North_American_1983",SPHEROID["GRS_1980",6378137.0,298.257222101]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Albers"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",400000.0],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",-84.0],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",24.0],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_2",31.5],PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",24.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0]]

e.g. If I plot the coordinates -82.634, 27.762 in ArcMap using the basemap, the point shows up in Saint Petersburg, FL, but if i use ArcGIS online, it is plotting in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico north of the Yucatan Penninsula.

Thanks much!
Chris

P.S.
this only seems to occur when the map service is added as a basemap.  When I add the service without checking the "Use as Basemap" checkbox, it does not shift the service.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
can you share your web map publicly? Or share the URL to the basemap service?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ChristopherBoland
Occasional Contributor
The link to the map service is here:
http://atoll.floridamarine.org/ArcGIS/rest/services/FL_DOQQ_2004/MapServer

The link to an ArcGIS.com map with the service saved as a basemap:
http://bit.ly/ZhguVQ

Cheers,
Chris
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you adding a point by entering the coordinate values? How are you doing this in ArcGIS.com? Do you have your own app or something?

Mike
0 Kudos
ChristopherBoland
Occasional Contributor
Are you adding a point by entering the coordinate values? How are you doing this in ArcGIS.com? Do you have your own app or something?

Mike

I am adding points into a edittable feature service, but we are searching for the correct location to plot them by using the search for location bar in the top right using coordinates collected in the field using a GPS.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Good bug! We're not properly handling custom basemaps that reference a service with a spatial reference defined as well known text. Good timing too. We'll try to have a fix for this by next week.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos