What is the use of sharing an item to both org and group ?

Jump to solution
03-15-2017 02:11 AM
MathieuVILLEMONT1
Occasional Contributor

When sharing an item it is possible to select both organization and groups. By default sharing the item with the organization will share it to everyone within the organization so what is the use of being able to share it to groups also ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can also invite a member of another organization to be a part of your group. In this case, the member won't be able to view the items that have been shared with your organization, but he can view the content that is shared with the group.

Sharing Between ArcGIS Online Organizations

If I invite someone to my group from another organization will that person see items shared to organization?

No, they only will see items within the group they were invited too.

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can also invite a member of another organization to be a part of your group. In this case, the member won't be able to view the items that have been shared with your organization, but he can view the content that is shared with the group.

Sharing Between ArcGIS Online Organizations

If I invite someone to my group from another organization will that person see items shared to organization?

No, they only will see items within the group they were invited too.

Think Location
MathieuVILLEMONT1
Occasional Contributor

Good answer

Similar question : it is also possible to share an item to both evreyone (which in that case share it automatically to the organization) and groups. In that case, because the item is public and therefore accessible by people from other organization, is there any reason to share it to a group also ?

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My answer would be a question for you.

Which would be easier to search? An item among few items in a group, or among the huge number of items that are available for everyone (public) on AGOL?

Your answer will be the solution to your question.

Think Location
MathieuVILLEMONT1
Occasional Contributor

I like that kind of answer I don't use AGOL enough to encounter such problem but I see your point.