What is the security\pricing model for webmap?

06-10-2015 11:55 AM
DeeptiPuri
New Contributor

I am trying to understand the security details of webmap published on ArcGIS portal. Does we need to pay money to access every secure webmap in web app builder?My company works with third party data\images for government projects. We neither want to expose data to public and nor want to charge the money per user\credit basis from our end client. So we want to keep the webmap secure but still independent of any use basis charges or even unnecessary authentication. Any link may be helpful here too.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Deepti,

If you do not want to expose the data or web map/app to the public, the user will need to have a 'Named User' within the ArcGIS Online Organization.  If you are using Portal for ArcGIS, the data and web maps/apps will exist internally, and therefore any user can access the web map/app that is on the network (when the web map/app is shared with Everyone).

Here is a helpful link about how credits are used:

ArcGIS Online | Service Credits

Credits are not consumed from viewing a web map/app.

DeeptiPuri
New Contributor

Hi Jeff Thanks for your reply- My next question is how can we control the user specific content as some applications are meant for specific audience and dependent on user rights (edit vs view). Also how can these application integrate with an external applications (e.g. currently we use ArcGIS server token to authenticate users between these ArcGIS and C# applications)?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can create Groups to delegate permissions to which users can view the content within the group.  For example, if content is shared to a specific Group, only users that are part of that group can view that content.

For editing/viewing privileges, you can delegate which users have editing or viewing capabilities by creating Custom Roles.

As for external applications, I'm not sure I quite understand the question.  All of the content stored within ArcGIS Online/Portal is accessible via a REST URL, the same as ArcGIS Server.  So, you will still have the ability to generate tokens.

DeeptiPuri
New Contributor

Thanks again, all these links are useful.

0 Kudos