what is the disadvantage of leaving esri access disabled for an organization member?

Jump to solution
09-03-2015 05:50 PM
AllisonHoff
Occasional Contributor III

I am an AGOO administrator and am considering leaving member's esri access disabled. This removes the button for community and forums from the website. Other than removing that shortcut are their other consequences for the member?

Allison

T3G Alums

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Enabling or disabling Esri access inside an Org permits or prohibits that login from the following: entry into GeoNet, commenting on blogposts, accessing Virtual Campus. If a person has used that login to do any of those tasks, and that login subsequently becomes associated with an Org, disabling access would prohibit the user's access to what they had done before. Similarly, if a person has only the one login thru which to do those tasks, disabling access would prevent accessing via that login. In either case, the user could establish access via a different login (might need a different email, since a single email can be associated with many logins but only a single Esri access).

"Best choice" will depend on the degree to which your primary concern is Org security or ease of operation or reliability or user longevity/transferability.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Keep them separate.  I am an administrator on our universities account, and I posted content there assuming Public acces would mean that...except at one level, public means within our university and not the outside world.  We don't allow access of our content to the 'real' public.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=15ca63aebb4647a4b07bc94f3d051da5

Here is a link to one of my scripts...can you access it directly?  now try to find it on AGOL searching by author or the script name directly.  I would recommend you warn anyone with an esri account to have a separate AGOL account  since I haven't had it explained to me what the ramifications are.  Your other posts on this subject have tried to take the opposite tact...I see no downside by keeping them separated, but only upside depending upon your configuration to the outside world.

AndyHenry3
Occasional Contributor

​Are you hoping to limit student access to the community and forums as a security/privacy measure?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

security to our content...they can cruise GeoNet and the general Arc* stuff without an esri account.  Also, the vast majority only take one or two gis/rs/cartography courses have no need for an esri account.  When they reach their 3rd or 4th course they generally have their own, obtained on their own or through summer or practicum work.

AllisonHoff
Occasional Contributor III

Basically the org users have to be logged into AGO/AGOO and geonet with the same username and email for the community and forums button to work. The only way I have found for the button to work with a different username is if I log into geonet first.

I did some experimenting and this was the result (when I was not prelogged into geonet).

2015-08-24_16-30-49.jpg

0 Kudos
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

Enabling or disabling Esri access inside an Org permits or prohibits that login from the following: entry into GeoNet, commenting on blogposts, accessing Virtual Campus. If a person has used that login to do any of those tasks, and that login subsequently becomes associated with an Org, disabling access would prohibit the user's access to what they had done before. Similarly, if a person has only the one login thru which to do those tasks, disabling access would prevent accessing via that login. In either case, the user could establish access via a different login (might need a different email, since a single email can be associated with many logins but only a single Esri access).

"Best choice" will depend on the degree to which your primary concern is Org security or ease of operation or reliability or user longevity/transferability.

SteveGoldman
New Contributor III

I have found recently that I'm required to enable "Esri Access" in order to allow users to sign into ArcGIS Pro. I think this function is pretty poorly named and documented, if this is true. In the Help, it doesn't mention anything about ArcGIS Pro:

Manage members—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

GIO, UAS Coordinator
California Department of Fish and Wildlife
0 Kudos