What happened to overwrite in ArcGIS Online?

01-05-2022 08:24 AM
Ann123
by
New Contributor III

What happened to the "overwrite" option in ArcGIS online feature layers?  I recall (possibly incorrectly?) that in the Update Data option, there were 2 options - Append Data or Overwrite Data.  Now there's only one: Append data. 

We have a hosted feature layer that is the source for a Web Mapping Application.  The feature layer includes a lot of styling and pop-ups, etc.  Rather than re-create it all over again with our updated data, (or spending a lot of time deleting duplicate records) we'd rather just overwrite the existing hosted feature layer and replace with our new one.  Yes - all the fields are the same, so technically styling and formatting should be the same.  

None of the identified issues about why Overwrite won't appear in "Manage hosted feature layers - ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation" holds in our case.   

Any suggestions?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LearnThenShare
New Contributor III

Is it possible that the link below is like your scenario?

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000023965

And there is always more on the topic.  Here is a page you may have already visited: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/manage-hosted-feature-layers.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_1...

0 Kudos
Ann123
by
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply!  Yes, we looked at both of those.  None of the scenarios described that could cause issues are true in this case.  There was a join used to create the hosted feature layer initially, but it was saved as a new layer, so according to what is written about that, that shouldn't make a difference.  

0 Kudos
ZoeBroek
Occasional Contributor

Interesting case! Do you use ArcGIS Pro? You can try to overwrite from Pro first? If that doesn't work it might be easier to make a copy of the layer (only  if all configurations, popups etc., are done on the feature layer itself and not in any webmap)  then truncate the data from the copy and then append the refreshed data. Then reupload to ArcGIS Online. 

0 Kudos
skunkpup
New Contributor

To begin, you might attempt to replace the Pro version. If that fails, it may be simpler to build a clone of the layer, truncate the data from the copy, and then add the refreshed data (but only if all customizations, popups, etc., are done on the feature layer itself and not in any web map).

happy wheels

0 Kudos
BugPie
by
Occasional Contributor III

@Ann123 Did you ever find out what happened to this second option? I also remember that option at one point and would love to know if I'm losing it or not. 

0 Kudos
Ann123
by
New Contributor III

Sorry for delayed response!   We had not migrated to Pro at the time I reported this issue over a year ago.  My job duties have shifted since then as well, so I haven't had a chance to explore alternatives.  Switching to Pro may indeed solve the problem but I have not verified. Pro is built to work with ArcGIS online much more seamlessly, so I'm sure there is just a little check box or something that needs to be checked...

0 Kudos