What determines feature layer order when publishing service from GDB upload?

Jump to solution
07-25-2021 07:49 AM
GB_MattPanunto_GISS
Occasional Contributor II

When publishing a service via GDB upload, I assumed feature layer order was determined by the alphanumeric sorting of GDB feature class names, but this does not seem to be the case. My GDB has 3 feature classes, a Point, and two Polygon feature classes. They are named:

"A" (Point)

"B" (Polygon)

"C" (Polygon)

When I upload the GDB to publish the service, the resulting layers are in  B-C-A order. I want them to be in A-B-C order. How do I do that?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewBrown8
Esri Contributor

Thanks for providing further detail GB_MattPanunto_GISS.

I performed a number of tests and was able to reproduce the described behavior. The results suggest that while feature layers stored within a file geodatabase adhere to alphanumeric ordering, when published to ArcGIS Online as a hosted feature layer, the layers are listed according to the order they were created in. This is further highlighted in the attached images, where layer 'F' was created before layer 'E'. 

MatthewBrown8_2-1627357834472.png

MatthewBrown8_0-1627356757442.png

Regards,

Matthew

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MatthewBrown8
Esri Contributor

Hi GB_MattPanunto_GISS

Thank you for your question. Can you please provide an image of the described issue?

It is expected that feature classes participating in a file geodatabase should be ordered alphanumerically. Have you double checked the names of each feature class to rule out the presence of any influencing factors (e.g. unexpected characters)?

Regards,

Matthew
0 Kudos
GB_MattPanunto_GISS

Here you go. The first image shows the GDB from within the Catalog Pane. While the second image shows the resulting service that is published by uploading this GDB to ArcGIS Online. There are no unexpected characters in the names of the GDB, or the feature classes.

1)

GDB.PNG

2)

Service.PNG

0 Kudos
MatthewBrown8
Esri Contributor

Thanks for providing further detail GB_MattPanunto_GISS.

I performed a number of tests and was able to reproduce the described behavior. The results suggest that while feature layers stored within a file geodatabase adhere to alphanumeric ordering, when published to ArcGIS Online as a hosted feature layer, the layers are listed according to the order they were created in. This is further highlighted in the attached images, where layer 'F' was created before layer 'E'. 

MatthewBrown8_2-1627357834472.png

MatthewBrown8_0-1627356757442.png

Regards,

Matthew
0 Kudos
GB_MattPanunto_GISS

Ahhh good sleuthing! Glad there is a way to resolve this issue. Can't help but wonder, is this working as intended?

0 Kudos
MatthewBrown8
Esri Contributor

Following additional testing using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1, I was unable to reproduce these results. As such, the observed behavior may be limited to ArcGIS Online.

Regards,

Matthew