What are the prerequisites to be able to 'Move to Basemap'?

Jump to solution
04-30-2020 09:28 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

I am currently following https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/custom-basemap-gallery/ and one of the earlier steps is to click the context menu of a feature layer, and Move to Basemap. As per my below screenshot this is not appearing as an option.

I am wondering if there are a specific set of criteria a feature layer must have in order to be available as a basemap layer?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nspittlemeister_LCFPD
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ben,

It looks like you are trying to add a feature service to basemap gallery. I don't believe that is possible. If you want to add that layer to the basemap gallery, you will need to publish it as a tile layer or vector tile layer. In Bern's blog post about creating custom basemap gallery, he is using a layer called Carbonate Karst, which is a tile layer. 

Nick

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You have to add it to the map first. It should not be part of the original Feature Service. 

One you add the layer the move to base map option will be available.

Also, you will need proper permissions.

0 Kudos
BenVan_Kesteren1

hi Robert, thanks for the reply. 

I am hoping you can elaborate a bit more.

I have created a new map, clicked the add content button, and added my desired feature layers, then tried to find the 'move to basemap' button, but it doesnt exist. 

Is this different to what you are suggesting above? I feel like what you have suggested is what I am doing currently.

Regards, 

0 Kudos
nspittlemeister_LCFPD
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ben,

It looks like you are trying to add a feature service to basemap gallery. I don't believe that is possible. If you want to add that layer to the basemap gallery, you will need to publish it as a tile layer or vector tile layer. In Bern's blog post about creating custom basemap gallery, he is using a layer called Carbonate Karst, which is a tile layer. 

Nick

BenVan_Kesteren1

Hi Nick, 

That makes sense. I was hoping my basemap would be 'live' and show features as other people were collecting them. but it seems it is not possible at this point. 

Thanks for your input and clarification. 

Regards, 

0 Kudos