What AGOL account User Type and Role is needed to allow user to see USAGE of a specific item

08-05-2021 01:32 PM
Labels (2)
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

I've created an ExpBuilder app and one of my users needs to be able to periodically retrieve Item Usage for that app.  What AGOL account User Type and Role is needed to allow an AGOL user to see USAGE of a specific item?  

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

I'm just trying various settings, but it looks like Administrators might be the only user role that can see the AGOL Item Usage info -- can this be right?  Surely it is not an uncommon need for a few users who don't actually know much about GIS to see the usage numbers for an app that they have asked GIS to build for them? 

In my specific use case, one of our users has a grant project that we've built apps for and they need to report quarterly usage numbers as part of their grant reporting.  I'm not going to make them an administrator just for that.  

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Okay, continuing my monologue...  It does indeed appear that you have to either OWN the item or be an admin to see an item's usage, per this source:

https://developers.arcgis.com/python/api-reference/arcgis.gis.toc.html#arcgis.gis.Item.usage

"For item owners and administrators, usage provides usage details about an item that help you gauge its popularity."

That seems overly restrictive.  

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to add a usage stat to a dashboard?  "This dashboard has been viewed XYZ times".

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos