weird error on a bunch of new layers

06-01-2023 11:54 AM
Labels (1)
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

I have been revising a bunch of layers, and making new layers from a better off-line Excel template.  I did this over a period of weeks. I created and used the layers in an important map project, and then have not returned to the items until this morning.

When created, these layers were all good, totally work. Now when I try to use "Item details" I get a red error box that flashes "Error" which is then immediately replaced by a bigger red error box that says "There was an error publishing the service". The item only has tabs for Overview, Usage, and Settings--and Settings is greyed out! So, no data tab or visual tab.

The layers work...I can put them in a map, open the table in the map, style them, etc.  But they are goofed up.

How can I fix this? I DO NOT want to recreate all of these newly created layers!!!!!!!

Maybe I need to start a support case...which will have to be weeks from now...

Any ideas? How could this happen?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayLarsen

I tried the suggested fix of testing from another computer, as the suggestion said that it might be cache goofing up.  Sadly, no difference.

However, both were Edge...I will try again form home tonite from a Mac running Chrome and Firefox.

I hope I won't have to get into a support incident...no time for it anytime soon!

0 Kudos
JayLarsen

Today I tried from a different computer, a Mac at home, and the "busted" layers all worked.

So maybe it is a windows/edge thing?  I was using Firefox on a Mac.

Or, it could be that it was a cache problem on just he 2 windows/edge machines at work.

Or it could be that ESRI did a magical fix or some other routine "healed" the layers.

The real test will be going on site tomorrow and seeing if they work from my office windows/edge setup.

0 Kudos
JayLarsen

I tried the goofed up layers at work again, all are fine.

1. Opening up on Mac/different browser invoked a fix on the servers?

2. ESRI rolled out a magical fix that took care of things one night?

3. Cache in work browser expired or was refreshed?

Another very weird and disturbing incident. Whenever I really really need AGOL to work, I seem to run into these problems. But, more often than not, they magically fix themselves.

Cheers everybody! There were multiple threads like this, and it was great to see there was really something going on.

0 Kudos