Web map- Disconnected editing using own aerial basemap

Jump to solution
08-10-2015 07:34 AM
KevinDunkin1
New Contributor III

I am creating a web map for disconnected editing with sync enabled in the collector app. I have realized that having a hosted aerial tile layer as a basemap with other hosted feature layers is not supported for offline use. How do I make my web map available for disconnected editing using my own aerials? A tile package layer is an option to load locally on the device, but my map is still unavailable for download with all other feature layers available for offline use. Can I remove the tile layer basemap in the existing map and how?, download the map in collector, and use locally stored basemap?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use your own hosted tiled service with an offline map. You need to enable your hosted tiled service with offline enabled through the item details or if you are doing this through ArcMap during the publishing process you will need to enable export tiles. Also tiles need to exist on the complete range. For example you should have tiles for levels 0-10 not just specific levels 0,3,7,10. In the second example I would switch it to use a custom tiling scheme to fit the different levels into a smaller number of levels like 0,1,2,3.

If you do not want to use your own hosted tiled service but you want to use a tpk, you will need to generate a tpk in ArcMap, then sideload it onto your device through itunes if you are using an iOS device or through a file explorer if you are using Android. Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

If you are using a tpk you can create a web map using just one of the Esri basemaps and your feature services with sync enabled. When you go to take the map offline you select the sideloaded tpk in the app and download the data.

Hope this helps

Russ

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use your own hosted tiled service with an offline map. You need to enable your hosted tiled service with offline enabled through the item details or if you are doing this through ArcMap during the publishing process you will need to enable export tiles. Also tiles need to exist on the complete range. For example you should have tiles for levels 0-10 not just specific levels 0,3,7,10. In the second example I would switch it to use a custom tiling scheme to fit the different levels into a smaller number of levels like 0,1,2,3.

If you do not want to use your own hosted tiled service but you want to use a tpk, you will need to generate a tpk in ArcMap, then sideload it onto your device through itunes if you are using an iOS device or through a file explorer if you are using Android. Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

If you are using a tpk you can create a web map using just one of the Esri basemaps and your feature services with sync enabled. When you go to take the map offline you select the sideloaded tpk in the app and download the data.

Hope this helps

Russ

KevinDunkin1
New Contributor III

Because I use the hosted tile layer in additional maps I will be using a tpk locally on the device. Preserving AGOL credits and downloading/drawing speed is a concern for the map so having it locally sounds far more advantageous for me than altering tile levels or creating another layer.

Thanks Russ

0 Kudos