USGS National Map basemap black box errors this morning

Jump to solution
07-05-2017 06:33 AM
JanieGoddard
Occasional Contributor III

The USGS National Map basemap is throwing black box errors this morning. The Flex Viewers in production are throwing this error since this map is part of the basemaps normally available.

Thanks,
Janie

20 Replies
StevenDouglas4
New Contributor II

Well the USGS switched to HTTPS several months ago, so I assume it would have happened then. It is odd that this is happening now and only for Flex. 

JanieGoddard

I decided to look at the FLex Viewer documentation for the MapSwitcherWidget, to see if I missed something. I found it here: ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 

At the bottom of the documentation page it has a link to click on for the live example of a basemap widget. This is what I get on the arcgis.com example. http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/live/index.html
Steven see if it errors off for you too, please.

So it isn't just your and my installation it looks like.

Janie

0 Kudos
StevenDouglas4
New Contributor II

I see the same thing. I removed that widget from one of my flex viewers and I still get the error (plus a bunch of other issues, ha). 

JanieGoddard

Steven,

In your main config file I think you would have to say false on the addarcgisbasemaps parm. Then add all your needed basemaps in the basemaps parameter.

<map wraparound180="true" initialextent="-10922000 4193000 -10342000 4446000" fullextent="-10922000 4193000 -10342000 4446000" top="40" addarcgisbasemaps="true">

I have examples of that. I had to do that when Bing went away.

Janie

0 Kudos
JanieGoddard

Katie,

Would it be possible to remove this basemap from the list of basemaps included in the basemap gallery widget that ESRI hosts until this can be resolved. I have 20 production FlexViewers throwing these black boxes. Since this is also occurring on ESRI example page, it is not unique to our installations.

USGSTopo (MapServer) 

We would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Janie

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We are seeing the same thing with our Flex viewers. The error has randomly appeared over the last 6 months and spontaneously resolved itself for weeks or months at a time only to reappear again. It is always this same USGSTopo basemap,  we never see an error with any other basemaps or layers. It has been fairly persistent for the last 5 days or so, and our GIS users are plenty annoyed.

It would be appreciated if this basemap could be removed from the basemap gallery widget until such time that it can reliably load without throwing errors.

JanieGoddard

Hi Karin,

Thank you so much for answering. This has been our experience as well with the USGSTopo basemap having spontaneous errors that resolve and reappear. We would be happy to have this basemap removed from the gallery widget.

Thanks,
Janie

0 Kudos
JanieGoddard

ESRI,

Would it be possible to remove this basemap from the list of basemaps included in the basemap gallery widget that ESRI hosts until this can be resolved. I have 20 different production FlexViewers throwing these black boxes. Since this is also occurring on ESRI example page, it is not unique to our installations.

USGSTopo (MapServer) 

In the past ESRI would remove this USGSTopo map from their hosted list of basemaps that feed into the basemap gallery widget. Please do so again for us.

We would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Janie

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After further investigation the issue is something that must be fixed on the USGS side.

JanieGoddard

Thank you to ESRI for working with USGS to fix this problem. Thank you USGS!

0 Kudos