Use image from My Content as picture symbol in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
12-11-2015 03:08 AM
EvaDienske
New Contributor II

Just wondering if it's possible to reference an image which I uploaded to My Content, as a picture symbol in a hosted feature service layer. There's not much documentation about this.

In theory this is possible as I can get a preview by going to the image's Item Details and clicking the image on the top right (""download archive"). The link this goes to is something like

https://ago-item-storage.s3.amazonaws.com/c5443e0426724b87890c82db11b4234e/myimage.png?AWSAccessKeyI...

This page indeed shows the image, but if it is indeed an "archive" there could be more than one version of the image.

Anyway, the URL to the image on the "archive" page is something like

https://myorg.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/c5443e0426724b87890c82db11b4234e/data?token...

Here's the problem: Both URLs reference the image correctly but feature a token, which can expire!

Can I get a permanent reference to the image, so I can use this as a picture symbol?

(Note that I'm aware of the following solutions: 1) upload the image elsewhere on the internet, 2) reload the service definition from ArcMap. I'm just curious if this can be done this way, as I think it could reasonably be expected.)

Cheers, Eva

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eva,

Here's a blog post with steps on how to upload an image into my content and then reference the image via url (which will avoid the access key issue you mentioned):

Adding and using photos and images in ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog

Thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eva,

Here's a blog post with steps on how to upload an image into my content and then reference the image via url (which will avoid the access key issue you mentioned):

Adding and using photos and images in ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS Blog

Thanks,

Chris

EvaDienske
New Contributor II

Yes, that was it... Somehow Google didn't find this blog for me. And I had missed the "share with everybody' step. Thanks!

0 Kudos