Update coordinate system of hosted feature layer?

Jump to solution
02-04-2019 12:45 PM
mingster
New Contributor III

Is it possible to update the coordinate system of a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Pro without overwriting it? I published a hosted feature layer (DWMS4Outfall) and it looks like I forgot to set the projected coordinate system to NAD 1983 StatePlane California VI FIPS 0406 Feet. Other layers I published show both PCS and GCS under Spatial Reference (e.g., RWStation). If I need to republish/overwrite, how can it be done without losing the attachments?

Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

You cannot directly change the coordinate system in online feature service once published.

As you indicated, one way to achieve this is to export the data in online to filegdb (with attachments), then open this data in ArcMap or Pro, change the coordinate system and then overwrite the data in online. This should work.

Thanks

Khaled Hassen

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

You cannot directly change the coordinate system in online feature service once published.

As you indicated, one way to achieve this is to export the data in online to filegdb (with attachments), then open this data in ArcMap or Pro, change the coordinate system and then overwrite the data in online. This should work.

Thanks

Khaled Hassen

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I just did the same thing mentioned here.  We really need the ability to set the coordinate system in AGOL.  I come from an SDE environment where I didn't have to worry about it.  I noticed the issue when my square footage didn't make sense.  I realize it was being reported in square meters instead since it was Web Mercator.  I didn't get too far so I can probably just start over.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

Not really understand the issue. We do support publishing data into any coordinate systems.

However once the data is published, you can change the coordinate system since this would requires reprojecting the existing data. Also area and length reported in the layer query is based on the data spatial reference. BTW, these are not geodetic. You can use returnGeodetics in the query API to get more accurate measurements. 

Thanks

Khaled

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I created the hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online.  It automatically went with Web Mercator.  I don't remember seeing an option to choose a different projection/coordinate system.  I should have noticed this sooner but like I said I'm used to SDE and feature datasets that all of the same coordinate system so i didn't have to check.  It seems in order to create something in a different system would require the feature class to be created in Pro or ArcMap and loaded into ArcGIS Online.  Not a huge deal, just a learning experience.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

Yes you need to publish SD file to bypass the default SR which is web Mercator if you are using Pro or even arcgis.com UX.

The UX does not expose the targetSR param we support at publishing.

So you can use the portal Publish API directly without the UX and you should be able to override the default behavior and specify any target spatial reference as a publishing param.

Publishing param in portal can contain:

{

"name" : "<yourname>",

"targetSR" : { "wkid" : <>"}

}

You can check how the UX is publishing from arcgis.com UX (fiddler, etc.). It does call the portal publishing from your data source.

Thanks

Khaled

0 Kudos
BrandonGuo
Occasional Contributor

Can you give more details about how to convert through ArcGIS Pro? I am using the project tool to reproject the table from one coordinate system to another. However, after the convert linked relationship table and contingent values setup all disappeared for the new table. 

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @KhaledHassen I tried this and changed the coordinate system on the layer, right click >> Share and Overwrite, but the cs did not update. The steps only worked for me once I changed the coordinate system of the map as well, so it seems like no matter what the layer is in, it will publish based on the map. Just an FYI for anyone else reading this (my layer is in Portal 10.8.1)

0 Kudos
bsanders69
Occasional Contributor

I had a similar experience but with a solution that I was applying to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1.  Solution is Lead Service Line Inventory (only version 1.0 is available for 10.9.1).  During the installation of the solution, it asks for a Coordinate System and I gave it ours (wkid 2881...State Plane HARN Florida East US Feet).  It ignored that coordinate system and left it in Illinois State Plane (Naperville).