Unlock Attributes for Editing in ArcGIS Online

05-02-2019 11:00 AM
Miguel-Fernandez
Occasional Contributor

Hello all,

I have a feature layer that is used in Collector for ArcGIS to perform edits in the field. When I initially built this layer, I only made three attributes editable. Now, there is a need to edit other attributes that are already in the layer. Is there a way to unlock those attributes so they become editable from ArcGIS Online, or will I need to download the layer, make the necessary adjustments in Desktop, and republish the layer?

I appreciate any help on this topic.

Thanks,

Miguel

Miguel Fernandez
5 Replies
KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

I have this same question on multiple hosted editable feature layers.  I would like for our staff to be able to modify the creation date and editor date and do not want to create additional fields, without deleting these locked ones first. Can someone help with this? Thank you! 

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning
0 Kudos
TanyaBagley-Online
New Contributor III

I am also looking for an answer to this question. I need to edit a locked field but have not found where to unlock it. It's grayed out. Did anyone else find a solution?

TIA

0 Kudos
KristalWalsh

Hi Tanya, I found that you can’t edit those system fields but you can hide them in the data tab “show/hide fields” option for each layer. You can also create other similar fields for the purpose of creating or editing your own data. Hope this helps!

Kristal C Walsh

Biological Scientist IV

Conservation Planning Services

Office of Habitat and Species

Milton, Florida

Cell (850) 851-8065

0 Kudos
TanyaBagley-Online
New Contributor III

Hi Krystal,

The field I am trying to let the field crew men edit, is the manhole numbers. This isn't a system field, like shape or FID are, but what I am thinking, "guessing" the reason my manhole number field, remains locked now and not editable in AGOL, is because when it was first published as a hosted feature layer from Pro, it was probably published with that field check marked as 'Read Only' and now cannot be edited or changed after it was published. So unless I download the hosted feature layer and republish it with the manhole number field checked to be editable and not Read Only is my only guess as a way around this?  

0 Kudos
KristalWalsh

Hi Tanya, I assume that you've already checked the settings of the feature layer to ensure that the "editable" setting is enabled. I don't want to assume anything because I have gone through all this before! If this is not the problem, can you not just delete that field and create a new field? You should not have to republish the hosted feature layer for which the manhole number field is a part. I hope I am understanding the set-up correctly. 

I recently had a problem with a hosted feature layer and I had to do export it from the layer's overview page and then republish it. You could make your changes in the shapefile if need be and it wouldn't take long at all. Hope this helps. Kristal

0 Kudos