Unable to select layers in "Editable" column in Smart Editor

10-21-2020 08:08 PM
JennyKuan
New Contributor III

Hi,

I was researching effective ways of updating values in the attribute table either on Web Map or Web App and while I learned that it is possible to "append" the data for the attribute data by reuploading a new .csv file, I stumbled upon the "Smart Editor" widget. I have been trying to test this widget out with my current data with little success - when I try to enable one of my layers by having it be "Editable", it will not let me select it.

I have uploaded these files as "Feature Layers" and they have been added to my Web Map with no issue. 

These layers also work with other widgets such as the Infographic one so, I am uncertain as to what I am doing wrong. All of my layers are grayed out... 

I would love for this widget to work for me! I know that Alix Vezina has been helping out a lot for these questions related specifically to Smart Editor so I would love for some guidance.

Thank you,

Jenny

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jenny,

If you go to the Hosted Feature Layer item details, is editing enabled in the Settings?

If we open the Web Map in the Web Map Viewer, is editing enabled on the layer options (in the Table of Contents)?

We should be able to readily see if the layers are editable in the Web Map Viewer as there will be an 'Edit' button at the top of the map display, near save, add data etc. If that isn't visible, it suggests the layers don't have editing enabled at a layer or map level - and this would come into effect when the web map is used in a web mapping application.

Cheers,

Chris

JennyKuan
New Contributor III

Hi Chris,

Right after posting my question, I went to check my Hosted Feature Layer item details (thanks to another post that Andrea addressed) and saw that I hadn't enabled the editing options! I will be testing that out right after I finish typing this out.

As for the "Edit" button in Web Map, I did read that in another post saying that it needed to be enabled too but I am unable to find it. I tried looking near the "Save: or "Add" button and can't find it. Do you see it:

Thank you!

Jenny

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Click the elipsis (...) on the layer in the table of contents - editing can be enabled/disabled here.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Jenny Kuan‌ let us know how you get on once you've reviewed the editing settings for your hosted feature layers!

0 Kudos
JennyKuan
New Contributor III

Hi Alix,

I ended up having to scrap the project I was working on since we couldn't get past a firewall to constantly update the data. However, I was wondering whether the Smart Editor would allow us to edit non-spatial features of the layers? From what I read, the tool is oriented towards enabling users to update spatial-related data (e.g. geometry, attributes at intersection and addresses). If I wanted to use the Smart Editor widget to get users to just update attributes of a field displaying number of election votes per candidate, is there any way for me to reconfigure the data to get the widget to work in that manner?

Thank you,

Jenny

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jenny,

Once you've configured the widget you will be able to create and update both the feature geometry and its attributes.

You can configure the Smart Editor widget to restrict what the editor is allowed to do. For example, you can disable geometry editing to prevent editors from modifying the geometry of the polygons.

You can also configure which fields can be shown and which can be edited (click crayon shown with the arrow above to get configuration options below).

To make it easier for your editors, make the widget open on load of the app:

Then, when the editor loads the application and clicks a polygon, they will only be able to edit the field you have configured (Population, in the example below).

If you have related records you would like to update, you can also update these attributes if both the feature layer and the related table are added to your web map.

Is any of this in line with what you are trying to do?

The option to update feature attributes directly in an attribute table experience (no clicking on features on the map) may soon be available in ArcGIS Experience Builder in the new Table widget that was added with the October 2020 release: What's new—ArcGIS Experience Builder | Documentation - stay tuned for the next update of this widget.

0 Kudos