Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to Open PDF in AGOL only Download- New as of Feb 29, 2024

Jump to solution
02-29-2024 12:13 PM
CaseyWilson1
New Contributor II

At the City of Springfield, we share authoritative pdf maps, like regulatory zoning, with the pubic via our ArcGIS online Hub.  Previous to today, February 29, 2024, the pdf behavior when in AGOL and the Hub, is that you have the choice to Open and then download a pdf document.  Today, the pdf we uploaded can only be downloaded from the Hub and when in AGOL.

We would like people to be able to view the pdf and not have to download the pdf.  Did something change with the February 2024 AGOL update?  Is there a setting I need to consider? 

Tags (3)
25 Replies
CaseyWilson1
New Contributor II

Thanks @RebeccaRichman for passing this along to the developers. 

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Adding our voice to this. This is a very frustrating change that broke a large portion of our public maps workflow. It was not communicated to us, the customers and came by surprise after this last AGOL update. From this thread it sounds like others are just as surprised. 

Please re-consider finding a solution that's safe to host. In the meantime we will be scrambling to resolve our broken maps that are consumed daily by the public. 

Best, 

Amanda Huber

Three Rivers Park District

davepete22
New Contributor II

This is a very unwelcome change.  A heads up would have been greatly appreciated, changes entire workflows as others have mentioned.  

davepete22
New Contributor II

For my situation, I did find a workaround.  I was using PDF's linked to in Survey123 and instead of saving my Word doc as a PDF, I saved it as a JPEG instead and that is able to be viewed in browser instead of downloaded.  Hope this is an option for some of you.  

Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

This is a great workaround for quickly viewing graphics, but unfortunately screen readers cannot read images like PDFs. So any text on your map is lost for those with accessibility needs. 

Alternate text would fill that gap but not be comprehensive as it can't capture everything that's in the map. 

Just something to think about!

0 Kudos
HectorValleRuiz
New Contributor

I agree with most of the comments. Even though some of the previously mentioned workarounds might help with specific situations, the change is unexpected and a major issue for many consolidated workflows. Let's hope that the alternative PDF Viewers allow to implement a solution soon enough