Unable to import shapefile (zip) into ArcGIS Online

10-15-2019 07:44 PM
AmberBeckler
New Contributor

I searched on this topic online and it appears that ESRI has had the same problem in the past.  It appears to be happening again.  I have an organization license of ArcGIS and go to load simple shape files (zipped) and the error message said the files is too big and unable to load.  Not sure what else to do.  I am using Safari and one of the files is only 183k- yep "K".

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

We do not really have any issues with the publishing-related size of the shapefile. We supported in the past 45G of data and millions of features. Is this only shape file publishing? did you try fileGDB?

If you fail to publish again, pl. share the time of publishing and I can check it out.

Khaled Hassen

Online Feature Service Lead  

0 Kudos
AmberBeckler
New Contributor

Thanks Khaled.  Interesting, I have never had issues prior until I renewed my ArcGIS license recently.  I've tried multiple share-files and none seem to load zipped up.  I haven't tried fileGDB but can do that and see what happens.

0 Kudos
AmberBeckler
New Contributor

I am still not able to upload a shapefile (tried at 2:40PM today) and when I tried to add a zipped version as a file GDB, I got a different error telling me it cannot load "shapefile".  Please help.  I'm stuck and can't get a simple map published to my client.  Never had this issue before.

0 Kudos
KhaledHassen
Esri Contributor

How you upload? using the UX or using Portal API. You need to be sure you are define the type of the file when uploading.

0 Kudos