Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to IMPORT Shapefile to ArcGISOnline Maps

04-24-2012 04:03 AM
TimothySmothers1
New Contributor
Have been attempting to import Shapefiles to an existing map in the product - it fails with any of the new ZIP's that I am attempting to load.  And even fails with old ZIP's that worked previously.  I have tried in IE8 and Chrome with the same message.  Chrome gives a larger report (see below)

Unable to import this shapefile. (Could not connect to net.tcp://10.115.184.119:20000/AnalyzerService. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:20.9982528. TCP error code 10060: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 10.115.184.119:20000. )

My load is respecting the geography of the original data source.  Please advise if there is a problem with AGOL at this time for loading shapefiles.  This is a personal free account and not a Beta Application import.

Regards
Tim
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
SameerBajracharya
New Contributor
I am having a same problem uploading a zipped shape file in map. It gives " Unable to import this shapefile. (Unexpected token <)" error message, can anyone help me with that. Thank you.

Regards,
sameer
0 Kudos
AlinaPontynen_Luce
New Contributor

Hello- 

Trying to upload a zipfile (attached) to arcgis online (web map) and I keep getting "Unable to import this shapefile." as an error message. Am I missing something? What is going wrong? Thanks-

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Alina,

For uploading a shapefile, you have to have the entire shapefile zipped up into the zip file. From looking at your attachment, all I see is a layer file (.lyr). You need to have the other components of the shapefile (mainly, the .shp, .shx, .prj, and .dbf - but ideally more like .sbn, .xml, .cpg, .sbx, etc.).

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
AlinaPontynen_Luce
New Contributor

Well good lord. I knew that. I must have been checking the wrong version. Thanks all!

0 Kudos
EmilioHernandez
New Contributor
In my case, my portal does not work and it sends me this error when using the

Add Data widget

generate features error:
Exception connect timed out

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Emilio,

Since this is an old thread, it might be a good idea to start a new thread with all of your details in order to get assistance. 

RosalyneTaylor
New Contributor II

I am having this issue now. Did any one get a solution to this? When I am adding a layer to my online map, I am getting an error message.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Rosalyne,

It might be a good idea to start a new thread since this is an old one. It would also be helpful to write out your error message, or display a screenshot of it. (plus listing step-by-step processes of what you did helps too)

0 Kudos
ZeynepBıyık
New Contributor

I am having the same problem... can any help with this issue?

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

It's a bit difficult to help troubleshoot if we don't get more information. I would recommend starting a new post to describe the error message and steps taken in more detail.

One thing that comes to mind, there was this issue from recent memory involving the Chrome browser, though I'm not sure if it is still a problem or not: https://community.esri.com/thread/229303-cant-add-an-item-to-arcgis-online 

Other than that shot in the dark, we really need more info to be able to help.

Best of luck!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos