Unable to download .zip file from AGOL after last update (bug or as-designed?))

Jump to solution
08-04-2015 03:50 PM
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I have two .zip file that are uploaded and available for download on our ArcGIS Online main page.

http://adfg.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html

These were working up until just recently (~2800 downloads on the one since last year), I'm thinking it broke right after the last AGOL system update (July).  Before that, clicking on the thumbnail on the main page would download and allow the client to save a local copy of the .zip.  This was a great AGOL feature for us.  Now clicking does nothing, and hovering over it shows the error   javascript:void(0)

(edit-added)  Was this a non-feature that we were taking advantage of and now it doesn't exist?  At the very least, it would be nice it clicking on the thumbnail brought up the metadata, since there is a download button on that page.  We do not need this layer "hosted" on AGOL since the service for the AGOL web maps are accessed from our ArcGIS Server

Thinking maybe it just needed a refresh on my side, I updated a new copy of the zip, but that did not help.

These items are shared to everyone, and also the "ADF&G Public GIS, Maps and Apps" group that is shown as the main gallery.

What has changed that would have broken the ability to download the .zip files?  Does anyone know of a way to fix it?  This is how I distribute these popular shapefiles.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Rebecca Strauch Changed title....added details

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

This should work as you expect it. Unfortunately, it's a regression introduced with the July release. It affects file item types only (and only in the home page gallery). It will be fixed in the next release this fall.

There is a workaround, however, that will achieve the behavior you expect. It involves creating two new items which point to your uploaded shapefiles. I created examples using the two shapefiles you're currently hosting on your home page (links to the items below). Here are the exact steps:

1. From My Content, click Add Item -> From the web -> Document

2. For the url, you'll want to copy / paste the url to your uploaded shapefiles. To get the URLs you need, click on the items below. The url with /data in the Url property is what you'll need (the titles should match up with your items).

http://team.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ce925d82b06c4f41931dba2c4e78dab4

http://team.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a78bf5454bbc44208b0a92369c15bc9c

3. Once finished creating the items, share it with your home page gallery group and unshare the current shapefile items from the gallery group (but they will need to remain shared with everyone). You should be good to go. Once fixed, flipping back to the original shapefiles in gallery will be straight-forward.

You'll unfortunately need to copy over the description / thumbnail and any other info, but with this approach the download count will still be reflected on your original items (as your users will still ultimately be downloading the shapefiles from the same item, you just have a temporary reference in place until this is fixed).

Let me know if you have any issues / questions. Very sorry for the trouble.

Thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

This should work as you expect it. Unfortunately, it's a regression introduced with the July release. It affects file item types only (and only in the home page gallery). It will be fixed in the next release this fall.

There is a workaround, however, that will achieve the behavior you expect. It involves creating two new items which point to your uploaded shapefiles. I created examples using the two shapefiles you're currently hosting on your home page (links to the items below). Here are the exact steps:

1. From My Content, click Add Item -> From the web -> Document

2. For the url, you'll want to copy / paste the url to your uploaded shapefiles. To get the URLs you need, click on the items below. The url with /data in the Url property is what you'll need (the titles should match up with your items).

http://team.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ce925d82b06c4f41931dba2c4e78dab4

http://team.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a78bf5454bbc44208b0a92369c15bc9c

3. Once finished creating the items, share it with your home page gallery group and unshare the current shapefile items from the gallery group (but they will need to remain shared with everyone). You should be good to go. Once fixed, flipping back to the original shapefiles in gallery will be straight-forward.

You'll unfortunately need to copy over the description / thumbnail and any other info, but with this approach the download count will still be reflected on your original items (as your users will still ultimately be downloading the shapefiles from the same item, you just have a temporary reference in place until this is fixed).

Let me know if you have any issues / questions. Very sorry for the trouble.

Thanks,

Chris

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Chris, that work-around worked perfectly. 

Nice thing is, that although I needed to add the thumbnail to the new "link" item so it looked good on the home page, when clicking on it, it does go to the actual (original) metadata page, not the new link (I know for sure since the new link item has "(link)" in the title.  I did add a line in the description on how to download, just because it was so automatic before.

I had put a tech support ticket in for this, which I will now be able to close (I'm not sure if they had contacted you or not).  With suggested tests, I did noticed that it was only on the home page, and the gallery is still working fine.  The workaround still works with the gallery too, even though it does have a pop-up for downloading, if they click the link, it has the same behavior as the home page link, so that is ok.

Is there a Nim/Bug number I should look for in the next release, so I know it is fixed and can reverse it?  I'm good with the work-around, but just in case the fix breaks the temp-fix.  (and I'm assuming the next update is in the December timeframe??)

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I heard back from tech support and this was confirmed as an issue, and a bug has been logged. For anyone else that runs into this

[#BUG-000089703 : The ability to download .zip files from the home page gallery in ArcGIS Online no longer functions after recent release.]

But the workaround above works until it fixed.

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

ok, great. Good to hear the workaround works for you, and that you got the bug #. I was trying to hunt it down yesterday, but don't think it had worked through to my end yet.

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos