Unable to add Shapefile in zipped format

12-16-2011 12:51 AM
FaisalAziz
New Contributor
I am trying to add a point theme shapefile after compressed it into a zip format in Map viewer but everytime it gives an error "Unable to import this shapefile". if I add the file in csv format then it gives an error "File does not seem to contain fields with point coordinates".
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
34 Replies
kylevalkenburg1
New Contributor
I cannot add a zipped shape file either.  I have tried it plenty of times in the past and it has NEVER worked.  This time I have a point shp file of 800 records, and it will not add to a web map.  I had a co-worker try it and he can get a subset of my points to load up fine (~400 points), but if he tries 750 points it doesn't work.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Vdot76, can you upload your shapefile here?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
GordonBooth
New Contributor III
Unable to add a zipped shape file. I've attached the zipped shape file.
Thanks,
Gordon
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Gordon,

Your zip file contains a folder that contains the shapefile files... the zip file should just contain the shapefile files without the extra folder hierarchy.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
GordonBooth
New Contributor III
Thanks Mike - that did it.
0 Kudos
TuiAnderson
New Contributor
I am having trouble importing pline shape file, the error gives me no information why.  The shp has less than 1000 features and has the four needed files.

Thanks
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
What web browser are you using?
Can you share your shapefile here so we can test it?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LindaBurbank
New Contributor II
I am getting the "unable to import this shapefile" message and can't figure out why. I have tried 2 different shapefiles with less than 1,000 features.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Linda,

You have the same problem as Gordon above...

Your zip file contains a folder that contains the shapefile files... the zip file should just contain the shapefile files without the extra folder hierarchy.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
marvinboyd
New Contributor
Good Evening,

I, too, am unable to import my shapefiles.  Help!

Thank you,
Marvin
0 Kudos