Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to add my content to my arcgis.com map

05-27-2010 06:27 AM
SimonMorgan
Regular Contributor
I uploaded a package file that contained data from a fiel geodatabase. I made it public and available for everyone. When I try to add it to a map, I leave the search string blank and it does not find it, I tried searching by the tags I used and still nothing. Anyone had any luck adding layers fromt he my content portion of arcgis.com?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Presently, you can only add map services as layers to web maps. We're working on supporting layer packages and "web enabling" them so that they can be added over a web map.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
SimonMorgan
Regular Contributor
Thank you for your reply, for some reason whenever I try to add one of my REST services, I get a not responding message. I can access the endpoint through the web browser though.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share the URL to your web service so we can try it out?
How are you trying to add your map service? Can you provide the steps you are doing?

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
SimonMorgan
Regular Contributor
http://gis.threeriversparkdistrict.org/arcgis/rest/services/Staff_App/STAFF_centerline/MapServer

I go to "My Content"

I click add item

Change "the item is:" to: An ArcGIS Server Web Service

Complete my url as above

It automatically populates the title for me

I add some tags

Then click add item
0 Kudos
SimonMorgan
Regular Contributor
I just tried it from an off-network computer and it worked fine!!
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Presently, you can only add map services as layers to web maps. We're working on supporting layer packages and "web enabling" them so that they can be added over a web map.

Thanks,

Mike

Good Times.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Simon,

I too am able to add your service, so I'm not exactly sure why you can't when on your network. You might try adding the map service directly to the map via the Add dialog on the toolbar of the map. Choose to search "A GIS Server" and put the REST url in the URL box.  If you find out anything more about why it's not working, let us know.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JohnDeMartino
New Contributor II
Having the same problem.  When I tried to add a map service from our server it gives me the error "URL does not point to an ArcGIS server or ArcGIS server is not responding." 
Similar problem if I try to load it thru my content.  Times out.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
John,

What is the URL you are using to try to connect to your server? Is your server public? Are you using the REST endpoint to connect to your server? This is different than the URL you use to connect in ArcGIS Desktop. It would be something like this:

http://<your server>/arcgis/rest/services/<service name>/MapServer

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos