Turn clustering off when zoomed in

07-25-2019 03:22 PM
JacksonTrappett
Occasional Contributor II

In AGOL, I have a layer that I want to enable clustering on to use inside an operations dashboard.  The layer shows trees, and there are thousands, so when zoomed out, I want clustering, so that the layer doesn't take many seconds to draw.  However, when zoomed in, I'd like the clustering to turn off after a certain point so that I can display the individual trees.

With clustering enabled on the default settings now, the layer keeps clustering no matter how far I zoom in (some of the trees are very close together) and this makes it hard to see where the trees actually are.

One idea I had was to add the layer in to the map twice, enable clustering on one, and disable on the other, and set scale ranges.  This works great in the web map, but does not work in my dashboard, because the active filtering can only target one layer, so then the filters only work when either zoomed in, or zoomed out, but not both.

5 Replies
DuncanWilliamson
New Contributor II

I would love an answer to this as I am dealing with the exact same issue.

MuniraMithaiwala
New Contributor

Also looking for an answer regarding this issue. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In Classic Viewer you can Enable Clustering and then set the degree to which the clustering takes place (from more to less) on the sliding scale.

As you zoom in, the clustering will break up based on the degree of clustering you specify with the scale.

Or did I not understand correctly?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In New Map Viewer, click on the Clustering icon on the far right side of the screen and you get even more options.  You can set the radius within which to capture points for clustering and the number of points clustered at a particular location appears next to that point.

0 Kudos
DakotaBeasley
New Contributor

Even at the lowest possible configuration for cluster radius, some level of unwanted merging still occurs if you aren't incredibly zoomed in on a certain point.

0 Kudos