Tool to bill ArcGIS Online Services to project numbers

06-09-2020 12:22 PM
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

Are there any tools to bill by project numbers when using ArcGIS Online services ? as it is now, all we know is the username who performed a process, but in our engineering business, we work by project numbers, not by users when comes the time to bill. As it is now for example, when performing geocoding in ArcMap, a user will login to his AGOL account. That won't help to know for which project he or she did this geocoding. When a user publishes layers to AGOL, again we only know the user who published, we don't know for which project it was. It would be great to have a tool which would track by project numbers all activities. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rene Aubut‌,

At tonight's ArcGIS Online release there is much more robust item and member reporting - I'm wondering if this might help with project reporting. 

View and report status—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, thanks for the info. However, it is not what I am looking for. Typically, a consulting firm assigns a contract number when doing work for a client. Billed hours are recorded to that project number. As for resources likes ArcGIS Online, ESRI offers to manage members and items, not project number, so there is no way to know credit consumption by project numbers. Take a geocoding example done in ArcMap. When the user logs in to his ESRI account to use the geocoder resource, I think it would be easy to add a field to let the user enter a project number along with his username and password. That way, when producing a report, I could chose by user and project number. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rene, thanks for elaborating on this. ArcGIS Online does not offer something like this at the moment, but I think it would be worth submitting an ArcGIS Ideas or getting in touch with Esri Support to get an enhancement created. You may also want to check out Marketplace to see if any Esri Partners have developed something like this. Cross-posting to AEC (Architecture, Engineering and Construction) in case anyone else has had similar questions. 

Hope this helps,

-Peter 

0 Kudos
ReneAubut
Occasional Contributor

Alright Peter, just submitted to Ideas. ESRI Canada support told me there is nothing currently doing that. I have also submitted this idea to our regional sales rep. Having the ability to produce clear credits consumption reports for our clients will help all of ESRI customers. I think many of your customers simply have their overhead pay for these fees, not having the possibility to bill it to their different customers, which is clearly not good business